Banked Circular Motion without friction

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a roadway for traffic moving at a speed of 28 m/s. The roadway includes a curved section with a circular arc of 190 m radius and is banked in a way that allows for a vehicle to go around the curve with lateral friction forces equal to zero. The conversation also mentions the use of equations such as F_C = \frac{mv^2}{r} and mg\tan\beta = \frac{mv^2}{r} in solving the problem.
hqjb

Homework Statement

A roadway is designed for traffic moving at a speed of 28 m s . A curved section of the
roadway is a circular arc of 190 m radius. The roadway is banked so that a vehicle can go
around the curve with the lateral friction forces equal to zero

Homework Equations

[itex]F_C = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD.jpg

[itex]
N\sin\beta = \frac{mv^2}{r}
[/itex]
[itex]
mg\cos\beta\sin\beta = \frac{mv^2}{r}
[/itex]
[itex]
2\sin\beta\cos\beta = \frac{2v^2}{rg}
[/itex]
[itex]
\sin(2\beta) = \frac{2(28)(28)}{(190)(9.8)}
[/itex]

I got the right answer if I didnt assume [itex]N = mg\cos\beta[/itex]

Edit : Nevermind, careless mistake I was using different coordinate systems.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hqjb said:

Homework Statement

A roadway is designed for traffic moving at a speed of 28 m s . A curved section of the
roadway is a circular arc of 190 m radius. The roadway is banked so that a vehicle can go
around the curve with the lateral friction forces equal to zero

Homework Equations

[itex]F_C = \frac{mv^2}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD.jpg

[itex]
N\sin\beta = \frac{mv^2}{r}
[/itex]
[itex]
mg\cos\beta\sin\beta = \frac{mv^2}{r}
[/itex]
[itex]
2\sin\beta\cos\beta = \frac{2v^2}{rg}
[/itex]
[itex]
\sin(2\beta) = \frac{2(28)(28)}{(190)(9.8)}
[/itex]

I got the right answer if I didnt assume [itex]N = mg\cos\beta[/itex]

Edit : Nevermind, careless mistake I was using different coordinate systems.

I assume you found that using [itex]
mg\tan\beta = \frac{mv^2}{r}
[/itex] was more fruitfull?

1. What is banked circular motion without friction?

Banked circular motion without friction refers to the movement of an object in a circular path along a banked surface without the presence of friction. This type of motion is commonly seen in situations where a vehicle, such as a car, is traveling along a banked road or track.

2. What causes banked circular motion without friction?

The presence of a banked surface, along with the absence of friction, is what causes banked circular motion. When an object, such as a car, is traveling along a banked surface, the normal force from the surface provides the necessary centripetal force for the object to maintain its circular path without the need for friction.

3. How is banked circular motion without friction different from banked circular motion with friction?

In banked circular motion without friction, the normal force from the banked surface is the only force providing the necessary centripetal force for the object to maintain its circular path. In banked circular motion with friction, the presence of friction also plays a role in providing the necessary centripetal force. As a result, the object may experience a decrease in speed in order to maintain its circular path.

4. What are some real-life examples of banked circular motion without friction?

Some real-life examples of banked circular motion without friction include cars or motorcycles traveling along a banked curve on a road or track, roller coasters moving along a banked loop, and airplanes making a banked turn.

5. How does banked circular motion without friction affect the speed of the object?

In banked circular motion without friction, the speed of the object remains constant throughout its circular path. This is because the normal force from the banked surface provides the necessary centripetal force without causing any decrease in speed. However, the angle of the banked surface can affect the speed of the object, with a steeper angle resulting in a higher speed and a shallower angle resulting in a lower speed.