1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Baryons and their quark constituents

1. Sep 7, 2007 #1
    I have been given an assingment where I must show that the properties of the up, down and strange quarks follow from the properties of the baryons. I am just wondering why delta +1 (a baryon) has a spin 3/2 when it is, like a proton, composed of up, up, down. Aren't spins additive? and how do all of the 3/2 and 1/2 spin baryons follow from the combination of the up, down, and strange quarks alone? I can count only 10 combinations of those 3 types.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you think spins are additive in the sense of 1/2+1/2+1/2=3/2 you would be wrong. And if you do think this you should be wondering why the proton has spin 1/2 rather than 3/2. A system of three spin 1/2 particles can be in a total spin state of either 1/2 or 3/2.

4. Sep 7, 2007 #3

mjsd

Homework Helper

spins are "additive" but they are not numbers, they are spinors. addition rules are different.. but still makes a lot sense, eg. spin +1/2 and spin -1/2 adds to spin 0 (this is just means the spins of the two constitutents are anti-align. so with 3 spins states, you can have [tex]\pm 1/2 \text{or} \pm 3/2[/tex] that means you get a spin 1/2 or 3/2 particle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?