Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Base rate probability application question

1. Sep 19, 2012 #1
    Dear Probability subforum,

I have hard time thinking through how 11% is calculated. Anyone have any ideas? From "Thinking fast and slow" Kahneman. p 154

"...If you believe 3% of graduate students are enrolled in computer science (the base rate), and you also believe that the description of Tom W is 4 times more likely for a graduate student in that field than in other fields, then Bayes's rule says you must believe that the probability that Tom W is a computer scientist is now 11%. If the base rate had been 80%, the new degree of belief would be 94.1%. And so on...."

Description of Tom W is that of typical CS student.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2012 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey SELFMADE.

So in this problem you have two events: the belief of someone being a student and the event that they actually are a student. We call these events A and B and they are both binary variables (i.e. true or false).

So you have the probabilities P(A|B) and P(B|A) and what you want to do is given P(A|B), you want to find the reverse of P(B|A).

Since there are many examples on the internet of this, I'll just post a link to the first one google showed that is relevant:

http://www.johndcook.com/rarediseases.pdf

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook