Basement sump pump liner install, back-fill with concrete?

In summary, the speaker plans to install a sump pump liner near a stone wall foundation, but is concerned about the potential weakening of the foundation. They have insurance but want to take precautions. They suggest backfilling the space around the liner with concrete to eliminate the effects of the hole on the foundation. Another suggestion is to use extra gravel in the concrete for better water seepage. The other person suggests using a plastic bucket in the center of the sump-hole and filling around it with Sackrete for a porous bottom.
Spinnor
Gold Member
I will install a sump pump liner and will dig a hole near a stone wall foundation. My concern is that the hole might weaken the foundation a bit. I have insurance for such things but want to take no chances. If I back fill the space around the sump pump liner with concrete then any effects of the hole weakening the foundation will be eliminated by the concrete shell surrounding the plastic liner?

I was considering using extra gravel in the concrete to make it more porous near the bottom so that water could seep in.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'd put no concrete in the bottom of the sump-hole. Consider putting a plastic bucket (weighted with rocks or other heavy stuff) in the center of the sump-hole, then fill around that bucket with Sackrete, pry that bucket out of there (you might want to grease up the outside before using the Sackrete) and you have a nice uniform hole with a porous bottom for your sump pump.

1. What is a basement sump pump liner and why is it important?

A basement sump pump liner is a waterproof container that houses a sump pump, which is used to remove excess water from a basement. It is important because it helps prevent flooding and water damage in the basement.

2. How do I install a basement sump pump liner?

The installation process typically involves digging a hole in the basement floor, placing the liner in the hole, and connecting it to a sump pump. It is recommended to hire a professional for the installation to ensure it is done correctly and to avoid any potential issues.

3. Can I back-fill the basement sump pump liner with concrete?

Yes, back-filling the liner with concrete is a common method used to secure the liner in place and prevent it from shifting or moving. However, it is important to make sure the concrete is properly cured before using the sump pump.

4. How often should I check and maintain the sump pump and liner?

It is recommended to check the sump pump and liner at least twice a year, ideally before the rainy season and after winter, to ensure they are functioning properly. Maintenance may include cleaning the pump and replacing any worn parts.

5. What are some signs that the basement sump pump liner may need to be replaced?

If you notice the sump pump is not removing water as effectively, or if there is water pooling around the liner, it may be a sign that the liner needs to be replaced. Other signs may include cracks or damage to the liner or pump, or an increase in basement humidity or musty odors.

Back