1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Energy and Time Uncertainty Problem

1. Oct 31, 2012 #1

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A pi zero meson is an unstable particle produced in high energy particle collisions. It has a mass-energy equivalent of about 135MeV, and it exists for an average life-time of only 8.7x10^-17 seconds before decaying into two gamma rays. Using the uncertainty principle, estimate the fractional uncertainty Δm/m in its mass determination.

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok,

I know mc^2 = 135 MeV = 2.16x10^-11 J
    Δt = 8.7x10-17 s

And I suspect I am supposed to use ΔtΔE ≥ h/(4pi)

Taking a wild stab in the dark here based off of some examples I've looked at:

ΔE/E = Δm/m ?

if so, I am given E, and the time-energy uncertainty equation will give me ΔE, so I can calculate Δm/m

only I'm getting the wrong answer.

This question is addressed in a previous thread, located here, where Javier suggests using ΔEΔt = h/2pi instead of h/4pi

When I use this method to calculate ΔE, then use ΔE/E = Δm/m, I get the correct answer.

Why do I have to use h/2pi instead of h/4pi?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

As I understand it, the usual formulation of the uncertainty inequality is ΔfΔg ≥ ℏ/2. Since ℏ = h/2π, that's h/4π.

4. Nov 1, 2012 #3

ElijahRockers

Gold Member

Yeah. but if you check the thread I linked to, someone says in this instance he should use ℏ instead of ℏ/2. i used it, and it gave me the correct answer. I'm just not sure why

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook