Basic force question(should be too easy)

• Thread starter aaquib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, The question asks for the magnitude of the unbalanced force acting on a supertanker of mass 1.0 X 10^8, which travels 3.5km and reaches a speed of 4.1km/h from rest. The solution involves using the equation W=\Delta KE, where W is work and KE is kinetic energy. The correct answer is 18529.5N, but the student may have made an error in calculating acceleration. The correct value for acceleration is 2.4m/s^2.
aaquib

Homework Statement

A supertanker of mass 1.0 X 10^8 travels 3.5km, reaching a speed of 4.1km/h from rest. What was the magnitude of the unbalanced force acting on it?

2. The attempt at a solution

I got the acceleration(2.4m/s^2), but how do I fit this into the equation? The answer is 18529.5N, but I have no idea how they got that.

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]W=\Delta KE[/tex]

Snazzy said:
[tex]W=\Delta KE[/tex]
I've only taken physics for 2 months in my life, so please excuse me, but what the heck is W and what the heck is KE?

W is work, KE is the kinetic energy.

Snazzy said:
W is work, KE is the kinetic energy.

Im not used to using that formula. I usually use force=mass X acceleration.

Well, your acceleration is wrong, possibly due to the fact you forgot to convert units.

1. What is a force?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate or change its motion. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear forces. Other common forces include friction, tension, and normal forces.

3. How is force related to motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is directly proportional to an object's mass and acceleration. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

4. How do forces interact with each other?

Forces can interact in several ways, including through Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another, the second object will also exert a force of equal magnitude in the opposite direction.

5. How can forces be measured?

Forces can be measured using a force meter, also known as a force gauge or dynamometer. This device can measure the amount of force applied to it and display the result in units of Newtons (N).