Magnetic force question - should be easy

In summary, the question asks for the magnetic force on an electron moving at a speed of 1.0 x 10^7 m/s in a magnetic field of B = .50 i at an angle of 45 degrees above the positive y axis. Using the equation F=qvBsin(theta), where q = 1.60*10^-6, v = 1.0*10^7 m/s, and B = .50 T, the magnetic force is calculated to be 8.0*10^-13. However, there is confusion about the signs and using the right hand rule, which results in different components for a proton and the actual calculation. The book states that both components should be negative,
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

1) An electron moves in a magnetic field B = .50 i with a speed of 1.0 x 10^7 m/s 45 degrees above the positive y axis. What is the magnetic force on the electron?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1)This should be an easy question, but I am getting my signs messed up.

F=qvBsin(theta) q = 1.60*10^-6 v= 1.0 * 10^7 m/s B = .50 T
F= (1.60*10^-6)(1.0*10^7)(.50) = 8.0 *10 ^ -13 +

Now, using the right hand rule I believe that if this were a proton, the components would be
(-5.66*10-13)i + (5.66*10-13)k and so then I just flipped the signs:

(5.66*10-13)i - (5.66*10-13)k , but my book says they are both negative.

Please help, I am confused by this. Is there a better way to think about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

I have also tried doing the cross product between v and B and then multiplying by 1.60 * 10 -19 but then I come up with a positive z component and a negative j component

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is exerted by a magnetic field on electrically charged particles. It is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between magnets and the behavior of moving electric charges in the presence of a magnetic field.

2. How does magnetic force work?

Magnetic force is caused by the interaction between two magnetic fields. If the fields are aligned in the same direction, they will attract each other, while if they are aligned in opposite directions, they will repel each other. The strength of the force depends on the strength of the magnetic fields and the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of magnetic force?

The strength of magnetic force is affected by the strength of the magnetic fields, the distance between the magnetic objects, and the orientation of the magnetic fields. The force is stronger when the magnetic fields are stronger, closer together, and aligned in the same direction.

4. How is magnetic force used in everyday life?

Magnetic force has many practical applications in our daily lives. It is used in compasses for navigation, motors and generators for producing electricity, credit cards for storing information, and MRI machines for medical imaging, among others.

5. What is the difference between magnetic force and gravitational force?

Magnetic force and gravitational force are both fundamental forces of nature, but they act on different types of objects. Magnetic force only affects electrically charged particles, while gravitational force affects all objects with mass. Additionally, magnetic force can be both attractive and repulsive, while gravitational force is always attractive.