1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Basic geometry problem with triangle

1. Mar 13, 2017 #1
    This is a problem I thought of, and I was wondering how to mathematically solve it with an equation.

I tried calling one leg x.
    So the other leg, because of Pitagora's theorem, is: √(52 - x2)

The area is equal to the product of the legs divided by two, so:

6 = (x * √(52 - x2))/2
    12 = x * √(52 - x2)

Problem is, I don't know how to solve the equation beyond the first basic step lol

Btw, I know it can be solved with Euclide's second theorem, but I was wondering how to solve it with Pitagora, if it's possible to solve that equation I wrote. So basically I'm asking how to solve that equation.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2017 #2
    Well, you know a2 + b2 = 25 and ab/2 = 6. So you can work out a2 + 2ab + b2 and a2 - 2ab + b2; hence a + b and a - b, hence a and b.

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You can solve the last equation by squaring it, afterwards it is a quadratic equation in x2.
    The approach described by mjc123 is easier, however.

5. Mar 13, 2017 #4
    That's actually nice lol Thanks for the input.
    I think that's what I was looking forward to doing, but I don't know how that would work. So, could you elaborate on the passages required? I only know about the property where you can sum/subtract, multiply/divide something left and right in an equation, but I don't know how to proceed with "squaring".

6. Mar 13, 2017 #5

mfb

2016 Award

If c=d, then c2=d2. If you know that both c and d are positive (which is the case here), the reverse direction is true as well.

7. Mar 13, 2017 #6
    Wouldn't I get 144 = x2 * (25-x2) from 12 = x * √(52 - x2) then?
    It would continue as 144 = 25 x2 - x4, which would be a grade-four equation.

8. Mar 13, 2017 #7

mfb

2016 Award

It is a quartic equation in x, but a quadratic equation in x2.

144 = 25 (x2) - (x2)2

You can solve for x2 with the usual formula for quadratic equations. Afterwards you can take the square root to find x.

9. Mar 13, 2017 #8
    Aaaah I see. Neat, thanks a lot :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted