1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Couple geometry/trigonometry questions

Tags:
  1. May 15, 2016 #1
    I am reading Gelfand's Trigonometry. In one of the questions he asks: "We know from geometry that a circle may be drawn through the three vertices of any triangle. Find the radius of such a circle if the sides of the triangle are 6,8, and 10."

My first question is, I know that if the diameter of a circle is the hypotenuse of a triangle then that triangle is a right triangle. Does this imply that the hypotenuse of any right triangle inscribed within a circle must be the diameter?

If this is not the case then I'm at a loss on how to solve this problem.

Second question, I have searched around but cannot find solutions to this book is there a place to find the solutions.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it must be the diameter.

4. May 15, 2016 #3

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

Unfortunately I cannot answer your last question. The answer to the first, however, is yes. Imagine you have the hypotenuse of a right triangle in a circle and it is not the diameter. Then for the third point to be on the circle you get either a longer side which cannot be true or an angle which cannot be right which cannot be true either.

5. May 15, 2016 #4
    That makes sense, so the answer to Gelfand question quoted above would just be 5. Seems like the question is too easy which is why I asked my question in the first place. Well thank you for your response.

6. May 15, 2016 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the author means a circle inscribed in a triangle, instead of the opposite. He said "sides", not "corners".
    If assuming the circle inscribed in a triangle is correct, then will this animation be helpful?

7. May 15, 2016 #6
    Actually my mistake in quoting the question. It actually states"... may be drawn the the three vertices of any triangle". Sorry about that don't know how I mistyped that. Fixed my original question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted