Basic Kinematics problem, why my method is invalid

In summary, the problem involves a motorist driving at a constant speed of 14.4m/s and a police officer accelerating at 1.8m/s^2 to overtake the motorist. Using the kinematic equation for displacement, d(t) = d_o + v_o t + 1/2 a t^2, the time taken for the police officer to reach the motorist is determined to be 16 seconds. The mistake made by the person attempting the problem was using the equation vt = d, which is only valid for constant velocity, instead of the full kinematic expression.
Yousufshad

Homework Statement

A motorist drives along a straight road at a constant speed of 14.4m/s. Just as she passes a parked motorcycle police officer, the officer starts to accelerate at 1.8m/s^2 to overtake her. Assuming the officer maintains this acceleration, determine the time it takes the police officer to reach the motorist (in seconds).

Homework Equations

vi^2 + 2ad = vf^2
v=at
d=vt

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I did I am curious why my method is incorrect.
(14.4)t=d (speeder)
vt=d (officer)
v=at (officer)
at^2=d (officer)

1.8t^2 = 14.4 t
t=0, 8

Correct answer is 16

Ok I realized that d = 1/2 vt^2
this was my mistake, please show mathematically why I can't use these two equations to form d =vt^2

vt=d
vf =at (if vi=0)
(at)t=d
at^2 =d

Physics news on Phys.org
Yousufshad said:
Ok I realized that d = 1/2 vt^2
this was my mistake, please show mathematically why I can't use these two equations to form d =vt^2

vt=d
vf =at (if vi=0)
(at)t=d
at^2 =d

vt = d only if velocity is constant over time. In this case it is not since there is acceleration involved. So you must turn to the full kinematic expression:

## d(t) = d_o + v_o t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2##

Likes Yousufshad
gneill said:
vt = d only if velocity is constant over time. In this case it is not since there is acceleration involved. So you must turn to the full kinematic expression:

## d(t) = d_o + v_o t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2##
Ok, thanks, great to know :)

1. What is Basic Kinematics problem?

The Basic Kinematics problem is a type of physics problem that involves analyzing the motion of objects without considering the causes of their motion. It focuses on the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object based on given initial conditions and equations of motion.

2. How do I solve a Basic Kinematics problem?

To solve a Basic Kinematics problem, you need to identify the given information, such as initial position, velocity, and acceleration, and use the equations of motion to calculate the unknown variables. It is also helpful to draw a diagram and label all the known and unknown quantities.

3. Why is my method for solving Basic Kinematics problems invalid?

There can be several reasons why a method for solving Basic Kinematics problems may be invalid. It could be due to incorrect use of equations, not considering all the given information, or making assumptions that are not valid. It is essential to double-check your work and make sure it aligns with the principles of kinematics.

4. What are the common mistakes when solving Basic Kinematics problems?

Some common mistakes when solving Basic Kinematics problems include using incorrect equations, not converting units properly, not considering the direction of motion, and not taking into account all the given information. It is crucial to pay attention to detail and be careful with calculations to avoid these mistakes.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Basic Kinematics problems?

To improve your understanding of Basic Kinematics problems, it is essential to practice solving various types of problems, familiarize yourself with the equations of motion, and understand the concepts of position, velocity, and acceleration. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor to clarify any doubts or misunderstandings.