Kinematics>>Equations of Motion

In summary, the problem involves a motorcyclist traveling at 15.0m/s forward and applying brakes with a deceleration of 5.0m/s^2 backwards. The task is to calculate the motorcycle's braking distance, which is found to be 52.5 m using the correct equations. However, the given answer is 23m, which can be obtained by ignoring the initial velocity in the equation. This may not make sense since the initial velocity should also contribute to the braking distance.
SunnyH

Homework Statement

A motorcyclist is traveling at 15.0m/s [forward] and applies brakes. The motorcycle slows down at 5.0m/s [backward].
a) Determine the motorcycle's breaking distance [ans:23 m [forward]]
Given:
Vinitial:
15.0m/s [forward]
a: 5.0m/s^2 [backward]
Vfinal: 0 m/s [forward]

Homework Equations

d= vi(T) + 1/2a(T^2) >>> vector equation
vf = vi +aT >>>> vector equation

The Attempt at a Solution

1) Find time for breaking distance
vf = vi + aT
0 = vi - aT (making acceleration negative so that it's vector is forward)
0 = 15 - 5T
-15/-5 =T
3 = T
2) Finding breaking distance
d= vi(T) + 1/2a(T^2)
d= vi(T) - 1/2a(T^2) (acceleration made forward by making it negative)
d = 15(3) - 2.5(9)
d = 75 - 22.5
d = 52.5 m
Therefore the braking distance is 52.5 m but the answer is 23m which I think came by ignoring initial velocity but it doesn't make any sense to me why they ignore initial velocity so kindly explain that to me. The picture i uploaded explains why i think initial velocity must be considered.
WIN_20170218_20_57_14_Pro.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
SunnyH said:
d = 15(3) - 2.5(9)
d = 75 - 22.5
15(3) = 45 not 75. :rolleyes:

Likes SunnyH

What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves measuring and describing the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object over time.

What are the equations of motion?

The equations of motion, also known as the kinematic equations, are a set of mathematical equations that describe the relationship between an object's position, velocity, acceleration, and time. They are commonly used to solve problems involving motion in a straight line.

What are the three equations of motion?

The three equations of motion are:
1. Position equation: x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2
2. Velocity equation: v = v0 + at
3. Acceleration equation: v2 = v02 + 2a(x-x0)

What are the units of the kinematic equations?

The units of the kinematic equations depend on the units used for distance, time, and acceleration. The position equation has units of meters (m), the velocity equation has units of meters per second (m/s), and the acceleration equation has units of meters per second squared (m/s2).

How do you use the kinematic equations to solve problems?

To use the kinematic equations to solve problems, you need to first identify the known and unknown variables in the problem. Then, you can use the appropriate equation to solve for the unknown variable. It is important to pay attention to the units and use consistent units throughout the problem.