Basic rules of algebra (Manipulating equations and such)

In summary, the conversation discusses a student in grade 12 who is struggling with basic algebra rules and is seeking recommendations for a book to help them improve their skills. Some suggestions are to review Khan Academy and math TV, as well as complete exercises from an old high school algebra textbook. It is emphasized that understanding and practicing the fundamentals is crucial for success in calculus.
supernova1203
Hi, I am a grade 12 student, finishing my advanced functions at the moment, in a few short weeks i shall be taking calculus, in my last trig unit my teacher remarked that although i did well, i should brush up on my 'basic rules for algebra' from what i understand this is stuff that i don't really remember, stuff that is taught very early, but for some reason i didnt learn it or didnt pay attention back then and now I am sort of regretting it, stuff like what do you do when you bring something over the equal sign to the other side of the equation, when you can cancel stuff out, how to cancel stuff out when dealing with fractions, when to cross multiply, etc etc etc...

can someone please recommend me a great book that will teach me how to do this stuff...i feel so bad...this stuff is probably taught to grade 5 kids and i don't really know how to do this...

Just a book that will teach me thoroughly how to manipulate equations and stuff..thanks in advance gentlemen :)#edit, i would post this in the learning material/book section but for some reason it wouldn't let me post there.

Physics news on Phys.org
is this because you routinely do things wrong in solving for x? or was the comment meant to prepare you for abstract algebra ideas?

One key point if you're doing things correctly is to remember never divide by any variable that could be zero or at least make note of it that its undefined.

a / b = c / d then you can multiply both sides by b to get a = c*b / d and again both sides by d to get a*d = c*b which is the cross product you mentioned.

Last edited:
Hi supernova1203
If you talk about rules like what to do when 'sending something at the other side of the equation' then you should just forget about those 'rules'
They don't exist
You only need to know that an equation is a magic formula involving the most powerful symbol of the universe :), the symbol '='
It allows you to know that something is just the same thing ('on the other side') but written differently.
since the two sides of the equation are 'the same thing', then whatever you do on the left also holds on the right, and vice versa.
so for instance, to solve 3x+1=4, you don't need a rule that says "I send the +1 from the left to the right and therefore it becomes a -1" (it is true, but it is not a rule that you should learn as a 'first fact')
so 3x+1 is difficult to deal with, so it would be nice if it was just 3x
easy, I remove 1
but 'the other side' being the same thing, I have to do the same operation
so 3x+1=4 -> 3x=4-1=3 is not because you 'sent the one on the other side' but because you did this:
3x+1=4->3x+1-1=4-1->3x=3
now, it would be so much better if instead of 3x it was just x
well, I just have to divide by 3, both sides (and hence 'send the 3 at the other side')
3x/3=3/3 and thus x=1
of course, you aren't going to solve most equations doing it so 'slowly', you will eventually 'send things on the other side of the equation', but it would be better if that becomes a second nature because of doing it so much than it being a set of rules 'just because' :)

Cheers...

A good way to brush up on your basics would be to look through the Algebra and pre-Algebra playlists on the Khan Academy. I believe that they also have exercises after each lecture to reinforce the topics.

Also, many Calculus books have a chapter before the core material reserved for prerequisites. Go here and identify the areas that you want to get some more practice on and work the exercises.

supernova1203,

Find any old high school Beginning Algebra textbook and study the whole course by yourself. You will learn it much better than when you studied it before. Reviewing the whole course on your own should take 3 or 4 months. Using beginning basic Algebra should become as natural to you as reading and writing in your normal language.

What are the basic rules of algebra?

The basic rules of algebra include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties. These properties allow you to rearrange and combine terms in an equation without changing its value.

How do I simplify an algebraic expression?

To simplify an algebraic expression, you can use the rules of algebra to combine like terms and perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. You can also use the distributive property to factor out common terms.

What is the order of operations in algebra?

The order of operations in algebra is PEMDAS, which stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), and Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). This is the order in which operations should be performed in an algebraic expression.

How do I solve for a variable in an equation?

To solve for a variable in an equation, you can use inverse operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation. For example, if you need to solve for x in the equation 2x + 5 = 15, you can subtract 5 from both sides and then divide by 2 to get x = 5.

Can I manipulate both sides of an equation in algebra?

Yes, you can manipulate both sides of an equation in algebra as long as you perform the same operation on both sides. This will maintain the equality of the equation and allow you to solve for the variable. However, you should be careful not to make any mistakes in your manipulations that could change the value of the equation.