1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basic Selection Rule for Angular Momentum

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am getting confused by the QM selection rules. Photons have an angular momentum of 1. So when a transition of some sort occurs and a photon is emitted, the atom must lose 1 unit of angular momentum.

My question is, is a electron transitioning from spin up to spin down (m_s from +1/2 ---> -1/2) an appropriate way to "get rid" of the 1 unit of angular momentum? It does not make sense to me that it would because that would just be a re-orientation of the z component rather than a change in the vector itself.

This is the table I am trying to understand (for the magnetic and electric dipoles).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selection_rule#Summary_table

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2013 #2
    But you can't just "re-orient" the electron, in the end state you have two particles. Suppose initially the electron has spin 1/2. Then the end state has spin 1 - 1/2 = 1/2, where 1 comes from the photon. Now, if you flip the z-axis, the initial state has spin -1/2, and end state has spin -1 + 1/2 = -1/2.

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    By reorientation I mean a change from spin up (m_s =+1/2) to spin down (m_S=-1/2). I think my question ultimately is : If the orbital angular momentum quantum number "l" does not change during the transition, is the change in spin orientation (because that's what I thought m_s was, just the z component) enough to account for the lost unit of momentum from the electron. The [itex]\Delta[/itex] S=0 makes sense because you can't change the magnitude of the electron's spin, just it's z component (orientation).

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4
    Now, looking at my modern physics textbook I think I see why I was wrong. The magnitude of L and S stay the same, but the change in m_s changes the magnitude of J because J=L+S, added as vectors. That change in J, accounts for the photon's 1 unit of momentum.

6. Apr 10, 2013 #5
    I think a test question I should ask is: Is a transition from 2P_3/2---> 2P_1/2 an allowed transition? The one unit of angular momentum for the photon coming from the electron's spin change.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted