Basic Special Relativity (Time Dilation)

In summary, the problem involves finding the time difference between two atomic clocks, one on a train traveling at a speed of 375 m/s and one at rest with respect to the train. The solution involves using the Lorentz gamma factor and the binomial approximation to find the time difference, which is equal to Tax where T is the time for the rest frame and T' is the proper time. After rearranging the equation and plugging in the numbers, the answer is 16.7 nanoseconds.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

The Concorde traveled 8000km between two places with an average speed of 375 m/s. What is the time difference between two atomic clocks, one on the train and one at rest with respect to the train?

Homework Equations

T=AT' where A is the Lorentz gamma factor

The Attempt at a Solution

Seemed simple enough the distance divided by time would yield the T (the time taken from the rest frame) so (8x10^6 m/s)/(375) and then solve for T' (proper time which would be the time of a clock on the train correct?) but the speed of 375 m/s is so miniscule in comparison to the speed of light the lorentz factor comes out to be 1 (which isn't surprising) but in the back of the book it says the answer is 16.7 microseconds...what am I doing wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
To a good approximation for your problem, you can approximate [1-(v/c)2]1/2 using the binomial approximation (1-x)a≈1-ax for x<<1.

bmb2009 said:

Homework Statement

The Concorde traveled 8000km between two places with an average speed of 375 m/s. What is the time difference between two atomic clocks, one on the train and one at rest with respect to the train?

Homework Equations

T=AT' where A is the Lorentz gamma factor

The Attempt at a Solution

Seemed simple enough the distance divided by time would yield the T (the time taken from the rest frame) so (8x10^6 m/s)/(375) and then solve for T' (proper time which would be the time of a clock on the train correct?) but the speed of 375 m/s is so miniscule in comparison to the speed of light the lorentz factor comes out to be 1 (which isn't surprising) but in the back of the book it says the answer is 16.7 microseconds...what am I doing wrong? Thanks

Not using a calculator with enough precision?

TSny said:
To a good approximation for your problem, you can approximate [1-(v/c)2]1/2 using the binomial approximation (1-x)a≈1-ax for x<<1.
How does this help though? that just makes 1-ax = 1 - (7.8125e-13) which still is very close to 1. Where/how do you produce the 16.7 nanoseconds?

Last edited:
Use the binomial approximation in the equation T = AT' without plugging any numbers in yet. Then see if you can rearrange for the quantity T-T'. Then plug in numbers.

TSny said:
Use the binomial approximation in the equation T = AT' without plugging any numbers in yet. Then see if you can rearrange for the quantity T-T'. Then plug in numbers.

I don't think you can )easily) solve for T-T' with the expansion... T=T'/1-ax ==> T-Tax=T'...unless I am missing some simply algebra i don't see how to manipulate to solve for T-T'

bmb2009 said:
I don't think you can )easily) solve for T-T' with the expansion... T=T'/1-ax ==> T-Tax=T'...unless I am missing some simply algebra i don't see how to manipulate to solve for T-T'

Rearrange your last equation as T - T' = Tax

As you said in your original post, you know how to get T for the right hand side.

TSny said:
Rearrange your last equation as T - T' = Tax

As you said in your original post, you know how to get T for the right hand side.

ahhh finally got it.. Thanks a bunch!

1. What is special relativity?

Special relativity is a theory developed by Albert Einstein that explains the relationship between space and time in the absence of gravity. It states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion and that the speed of light is constant in all inertial frames of reference.

2. What is time dilation in special relativity?

Time dilation is a phenomenon in which time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds relative to an observer. This is due to the fact that as an object's velocity increases, its perception of time slows down, according to the principles of special relativity.

3. How does time dilation affect clocks?

Time dilation can cause clocks on moving objects to appear to run slower when compared to stationary clocks. This effect is most noticeable at very high speeds, such as those reached by objects traveling close to the speed of light.

4. What is the formula for calculating time dilation?

The formula for time dilation is t' = t√(1- v^2/c^2), where t' is the time measured by an observer in motion, t is the time measured by a stationary observer, v is the velocity of the moving object, and c is the speed of light. This formula shows that as the velocity of an object increases, the time dilation also increases.

5. Can time dilation be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation can be observed in everyday life, although the effects are very small at lower speeds. For example, GPS satellites need to account for time dilation due to their high speeds in order to accurately calculate positions on Earth. Atomic clocks on these satellites run slightly slower than clocks on Earth due to this effect.