1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light hours special relativity time dilation

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://phy240.ahepl.org/Chp1-Relativity-Serway.pdf#page=39
    Planet R is 25 lighthours away from Earth. It takes 25 h (according to an Earth observer) for a spacecraft to reach this planet. The clocks are synchronized at the beginning. What is the spacecraft's time (from their frame of reference)?

2. Relevant equations
    Time dilation
    {{math|Δ''t''}}:
    :<math>\Delta t' = \frac{\Delta t}{\sqrt{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}</math>

3. The attempt at a solution

25/√[ 1 - ((20/c)/c)2] = 25

I think this is wrong because I don't know how to convert to speed without light. Also do I need to have everything in m/s?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2016 #2

Jonathan Scott

Gold Member

Firstly, you have a typo copying the question: the planet is 20 light hours away, not 25.
    You need to express the speed only as a fraction of the speed of light, to get v/c and hence determine the time dilation factor. This question selects a very simple case.
    You then need to think about which way round to use the time dilation formula. As a sanity check, the time shown by a clock on board the spacecraft will be running more slowly than the earth observer's time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted