Basic Stochastic Calculus Question, why does dB^2 = dt?

In summary, while using Stochastic Calculus, the properties of differentials can be explained through the limit of ##\Delta t \rightarrow 0## and ##\Delta B_t \rightarrow 0##. This leads to ##dt dt = 0## due to the insignificance of ##(\Delta t)^2##, while ##dB_t dB_t = dt## due to the contribution of ##(\Delta B_t)^2## and ##dB_t dt = 0## due to the insignificance of ##\Delta B_t \Delta t##. The exact reason for ##\Delta B_t \sim \sqrt{\Delta t}## must be consulted in a stochastic calculus textbook. These differential identities are based on the I
saminator910
As the title says, while using Stochastic Calculus, can someone explain some of the properties of differentials?

Why does [itex]dB_t dB_t=dt[/itex]

Also, why does [itex]dt dt=0[/itex]

and [itex]dB_t dt=0[/itex]

I don't really get why these work?

Physics news on Phys.org
A suuuuuper rough heuristic is that when taking limits, ##\Delta t \rightarrow 0## and ##\Delta B_t \rightarrow 0##, is that ##(\Delta t)^2 \ll \Delta t^2##, and will thus not contribute (leading to ##dt dt = 0##), but ##\Delta B_t## is of order ##\sqrt{\Delta t}##. Hence, ##(\Delta B_t)^2 \sim \Delta t## and survives in the final stochastic equation (##dB_t dB_t = dt##), but ##\Delta B_t \Delta t \sim (\Delta t)^{3/2} \ll \Delta t##, and so does not contribute (##dB_t dt = 0##).

Why exactly ##\Delta B_t \sim \sqrt{\Delta t}##, I don't remember off the top of my head. You'll have to consult a stochastic calculus textbook for the rigorous explanation (or maybe someone else here can provide one). Note that I believe these differential identities assume the Ito interpretation - I'm not sure if they would be different for the Stratonovich interpretation.

1. What is stochastic calculus?

Stochastic calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with calculus concepts applied to stochastic processes, which are random processes that evolve over time.

2. What is the purpose of stochastic calculus?

The purpose of stochastic calculus is to model and analyze random phenomena in various fields such as finance, statistics, physics, and engineering. It provides a framework for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems that involve randomness.

3. How is stochastic calculus different from traditional calculus?

Stochastic calculus differs from traditional calculus in that it deals with random variables and their evolution, while traditional calculus deals with deterministic functions. This means that in stochastic calculus, the values of variables are subject to change over time according to a probabilistic distribution.

4. What is the role of dB^2 in stochastic calculus?

dB^2, also known as the quadratic variation, is a term commonly used in stochastic calculus to represent the squared change in a stochastic process over time. It is used to calculate the variance of the process and plays a crucial role in many stochastic calculus formulas.

5. Why does dB^2 equal dt in stochastic calculus?

The equality of dB^2 and dt is a fundamental property of stochastic calculus known as the Itô's Lemma. It states that the quadratic variation, dB^2, is equal to the differential of time, dt, in the context of stochastic processes. This relationship allows for the simplification of many stochastic calculus equations.