[Basic Velocity] Finding velocity with x and y distances?

• Thread starter physxaffinity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a plane flying at an altitude of 140m and a parachutist dropping out of the plane and landing 60m away. The solution involved using the Pythagorean theorem to find the parachutist's displacement and then multiplying it by two times the acceleration of gravity to find the velocity squared. It was uncertain if this was the correct velocity, so further calculations were done to determine the time it would take for an object to fall from 140m and hit the ground. This was then used to calculate the velocity of the plane, which was approximately 12m/s.
physxaffinity
Ex. problem. A plane is flying 140m above the surface. A parachutist drops out of the plane and lands 60m from where he jumped out. What is the plane's velocity?

I used the Pythagorean theorem to find the displacement of the parachutist, i.e. the hypotenuse. I then multiplied the parachutist's displacement by two times the acceleration of gravity. The product would be some velocity squared. I don't know if this is the correct velocity, so I'm wondering how to find that.

Physics news on Phys.org
physxaffinity said:
Ex. problem. A plane is flying 140m above the surface. A parachutist drops out of the plane and lands 60m from where he jumped out. What is the plane's velocity?

I used the Pythagorean theorem to find the displacement of the parachutist, i.e. the hypotenuse. I then multiplied the parachutist's displacement by two times the acceleration of gravity. The product would be some velocity squared. I don't know if this is the correct velocity, so I'm wondering how to find that.

So, you're just guessing what the correct answer is.

The plane is flying at an altitude of 140 m. How long does it take for something to fall from that height and hit the ground?

Edit: It would take 5.35 seconds.

You've got a distance and a time now. What's the velocity of the plane?

Likes physxaffinity
60m/5.35s = ~12m/s

Yay SteamKing! Thanks for your help.

1. How do I calculate the velocity using x and y distances?

The velocity can be calculated by dividing the change in position (y distance) by the change in time (x distance). This is represented by the formula: velocity = change in position/change in time.

2. Can I find the velocity if I only have the x and y distances?

Yes, you can find the velocity by using the formula mentioned in the previous question. However, it is important to note that this will only give you the average velocity over a certain period of time, not the instantaneous velocity at a specific moment.

3. What unit of measurement should I use for x and y distances?

The unit of measurement for x and y distances should be consistent. For example, if the x distance is measured in meters, then the y distance should also be measured in meters. This will ensure that the velocity is calculated correctly and has the correct unit of measurement.

4. Can I calculate the velocity if I have more than two points?

Yes, you can calculate the velocity using multiple points by finding the average velocity between each point. This can be done by dividing the total change in position by the total change in time.

5. How can I use velocity to predict an object's future position?

Velocity can be used to predict an object's future position by multiplying it by the time that has passed. This will give you the change in position, which can then be added to the current position of the object to determine its future position. However, this method assumes that the velocity remains constant, which may not always be the case.