• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Basicity of Nitrogen Heterocycles

1. Homework Statement
Select the correct order of basicity of the following compounds:
IMG_20180630_184900.JPG

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Obviously, (i) is more basic than (iv) because of the 2 acidic phenyl rings in (iv). Also, I know that amides are much less basic than amines. So, that leaves me with either (B) or (C). Further, due to the sp2 hybrid N atom in pyrrole, it is weakly basic.
But how do I decide it's basicity relative to the rest?
Also, though it's clear from (B) & (C) that (iii) will be less basic than both (i) & (iv), how do I decide that the phenyl rings in (iv) won't decrease the basicity to such an extent that (iii) will get more basic?

Attachments

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Here's a good introduction to amine basicity:
https://www.masterorganicchemistry.com/2017/04/26/5-factors-that-affect-basicity-of-amines/
(i) is more basic than (iv) because of the 2 acidic phenyl rings in (iv). Also, I know that amides are much less basic than amines. So, that leaves me with either (B) or (C)
Yes, yes, yes.
Further, due to the sp2 hybrid N atom in pyrrole, it is weakly basic.
None of these molecules are pyrrole. There's piperidine (i), pyridine (ii), pyrrolidone (iii), and diphenylamine (iv).
Also, though it's clear from (B) & (C) that (iii) will be less basic than both (i) & (iv), how do I decide that the phenyl rings in (iv) won't decrease the basicity to such an extent that (iii) will get more basic?
The carbonyl group is a really good pi acceptor (and also a half-decent proton acceptor), so in general amides really really don't want to be protonated.

Ok, so from the link, the answer would be (C)

TeethWhitener

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ok, so from the link, the answer would be (C)
Yes, the big giveaway (or shortcut, now that I'm looking closely at the possible answers) is that piperidine (the aliphatic amine) will be a much stronger base than the rest of them.

Yes, the big giveaway (or shortcut, now that I'm looking closely at the possible answers) is that piperidine (the aliphatic amine) will be a much stronger base than the rest of them.
Right:wink: