Basics on types of matter and energy

In summary, the conversation discusses various types of matter and energy, such as antimatter, dark matter, negative mass, dark energy, and negative energy. It is noted that while some of these concepts are proposed by quantum theory, they have yet to be confirmed. The possibility of these types of matter behaving as waves and their potential to be transformed into mass using the Einstein equivalence of mass and energy formula is also discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion for the person to do some research on their own before asking for answers.
trees and plants
Hello. Questions: Are antimatter, dark matter, negative mass confirmed that they exist and exhibit as phenomena? What about dark energy and negative energy? Do these types of matter behave as wave also? Do they exhibit such behaviour? About those types of energy i said, can they be transformed to mass by using the Einstein equivalence of mass and energy formula? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this so far? What have you found?

I think antimatter is proposed by quantum theory, so does negative mass, dark matter so far is not confirmed but is on research, same about dark energy. Negative energy is something i read from a scientist about the total physical energy of the universe that is equal to zero, where there is positive and negative energy and their sum is equal to zero. About the other things i do not know. I am sorry.

So, it sounds like you have done no research at all, you just have vague impressions from various reading. Try at least Googling some of the terms.

trees and plants said:
Are antimatter, dark matter, negative mass confirmed that they exist and exhibit as phenomena?

Antimatter is regularly created and destroyed at many different locations on Earth, specifically in particle colliders.

Dark matter is theorized to exist, but has never been detected.

Negative mass doesn't exist except in the sense of negative effective mass, which, much like a positively charged hole in semiconductors, arises from the bulk behavior of the particles within the material and isn't real. (Unless you want to get philosophical about what 'real' means, which is beyond the scope of this thread)

trees and plants said:
What about dark energy and negative energy?

Dark energy, like dark matter, is also theorized to exist but has yet to be confirmed.

Negative energy exists in various formats. Negative potential energy is one example, along with some complicated examples from quantum physics like virtual particles and the casimir effect. It also comes into play in cosmology.

trees and plants said:
Do these types of matter behave as wave also?

Unknown, as we haven't observed dark matter or other types of exotic matter.

trees and plants said:
About those types of energy i said, can they be transformed to mass by using the Einstein equivalence of mass and energy formula?

It's not that they can or can't be transformed into mass, it's that they already have mass. For example, the potential energy of two objects orbiting about a common center of mass under gravity must be taken into account when determining the mass of the system. The mass associated with dark energy plays a dominant role in cosmology if understand things correctly.

phinds said:
So, it sounds like you have done no research at all, you just have vague impressions from various reading. Try at least Googling some of the terms.

Don't be too harsh. These are complicated topics that are not easy to understand, even for someone like myself who has been around PF for a decade.

Drakkith said:
Don't be too harsh. These are complicated topics that are not easy to understand, even for someone like myself who has been around PF for a decade.
No argument there, I just felt that he should at least do SOME research on his own before we spoon feed him answers.

For example, it's takes about 3 seconds on Google to find out that anti-matter is in use every day around the world, not just a theoretical construct.

How is he going to learn to do his own research if we don't expect any from him?

Likes Motore
phinds said:
For example, it's takes about 3 seconds on Google to find out that anti-matter is in use every day around the world, not just a theoretical construct.

3 seconds if you already know it is. Potentially much longer if you don't.

• Skeptical
Likes phinds
I typed his first sentence into Google verbatim. The second sentence of the first link gives him his answer for antimatter. Is that too much effort to expect?

Likes jim mcnamara, Motore and phinds
It looks like @trees and plants is on a Spring Break vacation for 10 days, so this thread can be tied off for now. Thanks for trying to help him/her out in various ways. :smile:

1. What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It can exist in three physical states: solid, liquid, and gas.

2. What are the three types of matter?

The three types of matter are elements, compounds, and mixtures. Elements are made up of only one type of atom, while compounds are made up of two or more different types of atoms chemically bonded together. Mixtures are combinations of two or more substances that are physically mixed together but not chemically bonded.

3. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It comes in many forms, such as heat, light, sound, and motion.

4. What is the relationship between matter and energy?

Matter and energy are closely related and can be converted into each other. This is described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc², which states that energy (E) equals mass (m) times the speed of light squared (c²).

5. How does matter and energy interact in chemical reactions?

In chemical reactions, matter is transformed into different substances by breaking and forming bonds between atoms. This process involves the transfer or release of energy, which can be seen in the form of heat, light, or other forms of energy.