Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis for kernel of linear transform

1. Mar 16, 2010 #1
    Hey guys!

I am having a major brain problem today, with this problem.

L is a linear transform that maps L:P4[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]P4

As such that (a1t3+a2t2+a3t+a4 = (a1-a2)t3+(a3-a4)t.

I am trying to find the basis for the kernel and range.

I know that the standard basis for P4 is {1,x,x2,x3}
    And the kernel is when L(u)=0, but I don't know how to find the transformation matrix, since we're not dealing with numbers in R, but in the set of polynomials. Is there another way to find the kernel/range and bases without using the T matrix?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2010 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't worry about trying to find a matrix. It's not necessary in order to answer this problem.

To find the kernel, just look at the defining equation for [itex]L[/itex]. What relationships must hold among [itex]a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4[/itex] in order to obtain

[tex]L(a_1 t^3 + a_2 t^2 + a_3 t + a_4) = 0[/tex]

To find the range, simply answer this: if you allow [itex]a_1, a_2, a_3, a_4[/itex] to take on all possible values, what are all the possible polynomials that you can produce of the form

[tex](a_1 - a_2) t^3 + (a_3 - a_4) t[/tex]

4. Mar 16, 2010 #3
    a1=a2 and a3=a4, so that a2 and a4 can be arbitrary. So plugging back into the original L(a), and factoring, you'd get that {(1+t),(t2+t3)} is the kernel of L?

The range would be … any value of a2 or a4 for t3 and t, so the range is just {t,t3} ?

5. Mar 16, 2010 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That is a BASIS for the kernel of L. The kernel itself consists of all possible linear combinations of the basis elements, which is any polynomial of the form [itex]a (1+t) + b(t^2 + t^3)[/itex].

That is a BASIS for the range of L. The range itself is once again the set of all possible linear combinations of the basis elements, i.e. anything of the form [itex]a t + b t^3[/tex].

6. Mar 16, 2010 #5
    Ohhh right right. Yeah I was getting ahead of myself. I understand now! Thanks :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook