Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kernel, Range, Basis (linear algebra)

1. Dec 13, 2009 #1
    Hey all!
    I am working on this and got confused. Any help at all would be much appreciated!

Determine the kernel and range of the transformation T and find a basis for each: T(x,y,z)=(x,y,z) from R3 to R2.

I have found the kernel to be the set {(r, -r, 0)}.
    Range is R2.
    I"m not sure how to find the basis. Any ideas? I think the range is right but not sure.
    Thanks guys!!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2009 #2
    The transformation your have written maps R^3->R^3.

4. Dec 13, 2009 #3
    Sorry the transformation is T(x,y,z) = ( x + y, z) Any ideas what the basis is?

5. Dec 13, 2009 #4
    What do you mean basis of a transformation? A basis is something associated with a subspace.

6. Dec 14, 2009 #5
    He means a basis for the kernel and a basis for the range.

So you have found the range to be all of R^2, then you may give any basis for R^2, recall a basis is a set of vectors from the space such that they are linearly independent and span the space. There is a standard basis for R^2 you may use here...

Similarly, you have characterized all the vectors in the kernel by r*(1,-1,0), where r is any number in R, think about the definition of spanning a space: a set of vectors spans a space if any vector from the space can be expressed as a linear combination of those vectors. So now can you tell me what is the basis you have found for the kernel?

7. Dec 14, 2009 #6

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

The kernel consists of all (x,y,z) such that T(x,y,z)= (x+y, z)= (0, 0). That is, x+y= 0 or y= -x and z= 0. Any vector in the kernel is of the form (x, -x, 0)= x(1, -1, 0) and so {(1, -1, 0)} is a basis for that one-dimensional vector space.

The range consists of all numbers of the form (x+y, z). Since x and y can be any numbers, so can x+y. The range is all of R2 and so has {(1, 0), (0, 1)} as basis.

Notice that the two dimensions, 1 and 2, add to 3, the dimension of R3.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
  8. Dec 14, 2009 #7
    Okay that makes sense. Thanks guys! The basis is the standard basis of {(1,0),(0,1)} And the range can be any number in R2.
    and yes the dim Ker(T) is 1, dim Range(T) is 2, dim Domain(T) is 3.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook