1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basketball projectile motion problem

1. Sep 26, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Attached I have the picture that comes with the problem. The question is how long does it take the ball to reach the hoop?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried this problem 5 times, but I can't seem to get the right answer. Here is the way I approached the problem:
    I already found the time it takes the ball to reach its max height= 1.180630296s. I found delta y to be 3.047m. I then used V^2y= V^20 + 2a(delta y). I plugged in 9.8 as "a" and 3.047 as delta y. I found Vy to be 7.727949275m/s. I then plugged that into Vy= V0y + ayt with V0y being 0. I got .788566253s as my time. I then added this time to the time at the max height for a time of 1.969196549s.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2008 #2

I haven't seen the document yet (it's pending approval), but it should be very similar to your previous problem of throwing a rock from top of the building. In fact, reversing the motion of the basketball is the same problem. The given variables may differ, but you know how to find them.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?