Bead on wire with constant velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the shape of a wire given a starting position and speed of a bead sliding under the influence of gravity. The horizontal component of the velocity must remain constant at v0. One solution is y=0, but the other solution involves finding a parabolic path for the wire that matches the path the bead would take if it became a projectile.
treynolds147

Homework Statement

A bead, under the influence of gravity, slides along a frictionless wire whose height is given by the function y(x). Assume that at position (x,y) = (0,0), the wire is horizontal and the bead passes this point with a given speed v0 to the right. What should the shape of the wire be (that is, what is y as a function of x) so that the horizontal speed remains v0 at all times? One solution is simply y = 0. Find the other.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out this problem by considering the initial and final energies of the bead, [itex]E_{i} = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}_{0}[/itex] and [itex]E_{f} = mgy + \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]. From there, I can find the velocity of the bead at a point on the wire to be [itex]v = \sqrt{v^{2}_{0} - 2gy}[/itex]. This is the part where I start to get tripped up. I know that the horizontal component of the velocity (v0) would be equal to [itex]v\cos{\theta}[/itex]. I already have an expression for v, but I'm not quite sure how to represent the cosine in terms of variables I already have. Once I have that, I'm pretty sure I'd be in the clear for solving this one. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
treynolds147 said:

Homework Statement

A bead, under the influence of gravity, slides along a frictionless wire whose height is given by the function y(x). Assume that at position (x,y) = (0,0), the wire is horizontal and the bead passes this point with a given speed v0 to the right. What should the shape of the wire be (that is, what is y as a function of x) so that the horizontal speed remains v0 at all times? One solution is simply y = 0. Find the other.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started out this problem by considering the initial and final energies of the bead, [itex]E_{i} = \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}_{0}[/itex] and [itex]E_{f} = mgy + \frac{1}{2}mv^{2}[/itex]. From there, I can find the velocity of the bead at a point on the wire to be [itex]v = \sqrt{v^{2}_{0} - 2gy}[/itex]. This is the part where I start to get tripped up. I know that the horizontal component of the velocity (v0) would be equal to [itex]v\cos{\theta}[/itex]. I already have an expression for v, but I'm not quite sure how to represent the cosine in terms of variables I already have. Once I have that, I'm pretty sure I'd be in the clear for solving this one. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

If the wire ended at (0,0), the bead would become a projectile, and the horizontal component of the velocity would remain the same, so perhaps if the wire just followed the appropriate parabolic path down that the projectile would have followed?.

1. What is a "bead on wire with constant velocity"?

A bead on wire with constant velocity is a physical system that consists of a bead (or small object) moving along a linear wire at a constant speed. This system is often used in physics experiments to study the relationship between motion, forces, and energy.

2. How is the velocity of the bead on wire determined?

The velocity of the bead on wire is determined by dividing the distance the bead travels by the amount of time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as the average velocity and is represented by the formula v = d/t, where v is the velocity, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. What factors affect the velocity of the bead on wire?

The velocity of the bead on wire can be affected by several factors, such as the length and tension of the wire, the mass of the bead, and the presence of external forces such as friction or air resistance. Changes in any of these factors can alter the velocity of the bead.

4. How is the motion of the bead on wire related to Newton's laws of motion?

The motion of the bead on wire can be explained by Newton's laws of motion. The first law states that an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law relates the net force on an object to its acceleration, and the third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. What is the purpose of studying the bead on wire with constant velocity?

The study of the bead on wire with constant velocity allows scientists to better understand the principles of motion, forces, and energy. It can also be used to test and validate theories and laws, as well as to develop new technologies and applications.