Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beall's List shut down!?

1. Jan 18, 2017 #1

strangerep

Science Advisor

I just noticed this item in Nature.
    I only found out because I noticed on the arxiv that a paper titled "Can the Many-Worlds-Interpretation be probed in Psychology?" had apparently been approved for publication in the "International Journal of Quantum Foundations", and I want to know whether this is a predatory journal.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How about the Internet Wayback Machine?

4. Jan 18, 2017 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I don't know if it is predatory, but "International Journal of Quantum Foundations" is not an acceptable journal per our standards, It does not appear in Thompson Reuters, so it cannot be discussed here.

5. Jan 18, 2017 #4

strangerep

Science Advisor

Thanks -- yes it's still archived there. Latest useful cache date is 12-Jan 2017.

I didn't find mention of the IJQF, which claims to be a new kind on blog-like journal. Apparently it's published by Institute for the History of Natural Sciences, Chinese Academy of Sciences.

Under its "submit" tab it says:

I'm not sure what to make of it. Sounds iffy to me, but I'm no expert in this sort of thing.

6. Jan 18, 2017 #5

Evo

It's not acceptable here. It's not recognized by Thompson Reuters, it's an "Open internet journal".

7. Jan 18, 2017 #6

strangerep

Science Advisor

OK, thanks. (I wasn't proposing to discuss the content here -- it sounds like crackpottery to me.)

8. Jan 18, 2017 #7

Evo

I figured as much, it was just an FYI.

Sad that Beall's list is gone.

9. Jan 19, 2017 #8
    Why not archive it here on PF? Seems like a good thing to do.

10. Jan 19, 2017 #9

strangerep

Science Advisor

It would expose GregB to far too much risk and grief. In any case, old versions can be found on the Internet Wayback Machine as V50 suggested earlier. Also, it's unclear what Beall's future is. The article suggested he's going to join some other organization.

In any case, having a "white" list such as Thompson-Reuters, rather than a "black" list like Beall's, is probably better and more legally durable in the long term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted