Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

BEC question about number of excited particles

1. Jul 9, 2015 #1
    Assuming no interactions, and the energy levels ##\epsilon_j## for a single particle state, the occupation number for this state for a system of particles is given by:
    à
    ##n_j=\frac{1}{exp(\frac{\epsilon_j-µ}{kT}) - 1}## (1)

(Here comes argument 1)

We conclude that the maximal value that µ can take is equal to ##µ=\epsilon_0##. This means that the distribution

##n_j=\frac{1}{exp(\frac{\epsilon_j-\epsilon_0}{kT})- 1}## (2)

Is an upper limit on any real distribution.

So using (2) we can calculate a statistical upper limit on the expected amount of particles in the excited states ##N_{exc}##.

Questions:

1) What explanation should come in the placeholder for 'argument 1' to conclude that µ is between 0 and ##\epsilon_0##? I've seen one on the net that already uses the result of having a macroscopic amount of particles in the groundstate to conclude this, which is kind of a circular reasoning.

2) Am I correct in thinking about this in terms of (2) being an upper limit? The problem that I then have is this - the upper limit on the state ##\epsilon_0## is infinite right? How to conclude that this state will only start getting a macroscopic occupation after the number of particles has exceede ##N_{exc}## - if we see an upper limit of infinity here how can we know that we won't get a big occupation in the groundstate from the very beginning?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2015 #2
    1) If µ were > than ϵ0, the occupation number would be negative for ground states.

2) Your question here is unclear to me. As µ -> ϵ0, n_j -> infinity for j = 0, if that's what you mean by "macroscopic number of particles."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook