1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Bechelor in Engeeniring Physics- Germany

  1. Jul 31, 2012 #1
    Hello all, im not sure this question fits to this section of the forum, but i thought still to try since i really dont know where to ask it.

    im planning to start in 2 months studying Bechalor in engeeniring physics in Germany,
    thing is im not sure which subjects will i be able to apply later for Master degree.

    my main interest now is renewable energies, but i would appriciate any other information about which other subjects i will be able to learn afterwards.

  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2
    Hm, can you post a link to some kind of study plan or maybe describe what's included? In Sweden (which is where I'm from) Engineering Physics is a 5 year degree programme, where the first 3 years basically is a mix of pure/theoretical physics and mathematics, along with a few typical "engineering courses", like "control engineering", electrotechnology, programming and computer science, applied mechanics and such.

    Then, during the end of the third year, you choose a specialization towards anything from pure mathematics or theoretical astrophysics to computer science or marine systems... During the two last years you take courses within your specialization and get and make a master's thesis in it. Here's a link: http://www.kth.se/student/kurser/program/CTFYS/ht11/arskurs1?l=en

    Generally speaking it's a very intense and theoretical degree programme and you can concentrate towards almost anything, depending on what courses you pick the last years.

    But it may be different from the typical engineering physics degree in Germany?
  4. Aug 2, 2012 #3
    This really depends on whether you will be getting a B.Eng or a B.Sc. degree, and not just that, but it also depends on the content of the degree.

    Some universities (e.g. TUM) offer specialization courses during the 5th and 6th semesters, which cover different aspects of physics, from materials science to energy related courses.

    If you decide not to go for an M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, you can also enroll (for example) in a Mechanical or Electrical Engineering master programme, though you might have to take a few additional courses.
  5. Aug 2, 2012 #4
  6. Aug 2, 2012 #5


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor

    I doubt that anyone can answer this for you except faculty at the schools involved. Exactly what course at one college will be accepted at the second college depends pretty much on the second college- unless there is a specific agreement between the two colleges, the second can accept or reject whatever they want.
  7. Aug 4, 2012 #6
    tnx HallsofIvy ,

    but then again. here is the study program http://www.ep.uni-oldenburg.de/53280.html

    i wonder if anybody who studied this subject in other Uni's that can tell me very GENERALLY
    how does the study program looks to him?

  8. Aug 7, 2012 #7
  9. Aug 13, 2012 #8
    ms in engineering physics
  10. Aug 13, 2012 #9
    and how about other subjects?
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook