1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Job Skills Becoming a physics consultant?

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1
    Hello,

I have a PhD in computational material science and experience using such computational techniques as Density Functional Theory and classical Molecular Dynamics. I would like to pursue a career in the private sector rather than in academia, however I found out the hard way that the companies that work in computational material science are few and tend to be very small. My question therefore is: do you think it's a realistic plan to try and become a freelance computational physics "consultant" and ask companies or universities to assign me individual projects on various material science topics which are relevant to my expertise? Do you know of other people who have tried a similar career path?

Thanks,

Gabriele

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2016 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yes, but only after working either for the government or private industry for many years. without connections, the consulting business is kinda slim. you might be better off forming a company and going after SBIR (small business innovative research) money

4. Jun 22, 2016 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

I review a lot of SBIR applications as part of my work and I agree 100% with Dr. Transport. I keep seeing the same names and small firms popping up. There is obviously a small SBIR industry out there that primarily exists to do small research projects. Seems to me a tough way to make a living, though.

5. Jun 22, 2016 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the OP originally threw out is called a post-doc.

to add on to my original statement, if your a minority, you'll get a leg up in SBIR funding, if not get a significant other to form a corporation or LLC then apply. It isn't easy and if I remember correctly, you're limited in how many times you can get that type of contract work.

6. Jun 27, 2016 #5

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This is why, if you don't specify where you are in the world, you'll get a series of responses that are completely useless to you. The SBIR routes that were mentioned appear to not be applicable to you since my guess is that you are not in the US and is not a US permanent resident/citizen.

We have people from all over the world in this forum. You need to be quite clear and quite specific on your situation.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted