1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Beginning physics question about solving for time using kinematic equations?

1. Jun 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A racket ball is struck in such a way that it leaves the racket with a speed of 5.37 m/s in the horizontal direction. When the ball hits the court, it is a horizontal distance of 2.15 m from the racket. Find the height of the racket ball when it left the racket.

2. Relevant equations

Kinematic equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I already have the solution BUT it's because I solved for time using the formula time = distance / speed. However, I tried solving for time using the 2-Dimensional kinematic equations involving acceleration (-9.8), time, Inital velocity, etc. I plugged in all the variables except for time and my answer for time came out way wrong. So why is that? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2011 #2
    And just wondering: would final velocity of x (Vx) = 0 or 5.37?

4. Jun 21, 2011 #3

lewando

Gold Member

I don't know. If you show your work maybe I could say.

If you were hard-pressed to think about it, which would you say and why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook