Behavior of the browser's Back button.

• Thread starter collinsmark
  • Start date
In summary, the browser's "Back" button now keeps the thread name in boldface even after the thread has been read, causing confusion and accidental rereading of threads. This behavior may be due to recent updates with Firefox, while other browsers such as Internet Explorer still behave the "old way." It is likely a browser-related issue rather than a site issue.
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Behavior of the browser's "Back" button.

I've noticed some new behavior of PF as of the last two or three weeks or so.

When I look at a list of threads on PF (whether it be a list of threads in a subforum, or my own "subscribed threads"), recently updated threads that I have not read yet have their thread name displayed in boldface. After catching up on one of these threads, and clicking on the browser's "back" button, PF's behavior used to be such that the thread name in question was no longer displayed in boldface.

But now when clicking the browser's "back" button the thread name in question is still displayed in boldface. It's not until I refresh the page (or re-click on "subscribed Threads") that the displayed thread name goes to normal (un-bolded), indicating that I'm all caught up on that thread.

Given my current habits, this causes me to inadvertently re-read threads that I just finished reading moments before.

I'm guessing that maybe this behavior was intentional: Don't indicate a change relative to the user's cache when clicking the browser's "back" button in a possible attempt to reduce server load.

But I don't know if that is correct. Is this behavior intentional?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's odd, the back button never acted that way for me, it always kept the title in boldface. I tried it on this thread a second ago and it showed it as unread.

I use Chrome, what is your browser?

I agree w/ lisab ... this is likely to be browser behavior, not site behavior.

Edit: specifically, it's probably to do with the way your browser handles cookies

Thanks, you're right. It does seem to be browser related. It must have been a recent change with Firefox, which is the browser I use for most things. I noticed this behavior on several computers. But I was using Firefox on all the computers. I suppose they all might have updated to the latest version of Firefox about about the same time. So that's probably the reason.

Internet Explorer still behaves the "old way" (the way Firefox used to behave as of a few weeks ago), where hitting the "back" button automatically triggers whatever it is that's necessary to remove the boldface on the thread name that was just read.

I haven't tested Chrome yet, but I'll take your word for it Lisab.

1. How does the browser's Back button work?

The browser's Back button is a built-in feature that allows users to go back to the previously visited webpage. It essentially takes users back to the last page they were on before navigating to the current page. This is possible because the browser keeps a record of the user's browsing history.

2. Can the behavior of the Back button be changed?

The behavior of the Back button cannot be changed by the user. However, web developers can use JavaScript to manipulate the functionality of the Back button, such as preventing it from working or redirecting it to a different page.

3. Why does the Back button sometimes not work?

The Back button may not work if the user is on the first page they visited, if the browser's history has been cleared, or if the webpage was opened in a new tab. Additionally, some websites may use JavaScript to prevent the Back button from working.

4. How can I go back multiple pages with the Back button?

The Back button only takes users back to the previous page. To go back multiple pages, users can right-click on the Back button and select the page they want to go back to from the list of recently visited pages.

5. Is there an equivalent to the Back button for mobile devices?

Most mobile browsers have a Back button or gesture that allows users to go back to the previous webpage. This can vary depending on the device and browser, but it is usually located at the bottom of the screen or can be accessed by swiping from the left edge of the screen.