Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Behavioral neuroscience, neural connections, synapses

1. Jun 27, 2007 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was watching a film in my behavioral neuroscience class yesterday and it showed a connection between neurons forming. (not an animation, this was filmed using a microscope) You could actually see an axon and dendrite moving closer and closer together. Then when they got close enough they started doing this handshake-like pumping motion. It was fascinating to watch.

Anyway, my question is: what draws an axon and dendrite toward each other? Is it charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2007 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The only force playing a significant role in that context is the electric force, yes. It all boils down to opposite charges attracting and like charges repelling.

4. Jun 28, 2007 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks. :smile:
    Another question: when this attraction occurs, is the pre-sypnaptic neuron typically more positive than the post-synaptic one, or vice versa? Or does it vary? (I'm thinking it's the first condition I mentioned, but not 100% sure).

5. Jun 29, 2007 #4

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

Perhaps a forcible interchange, perhaps not. A molecular conspiracy? There is so much crap going on down there, the possibilities are endless.

6. Jun 29, 2007 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe. You'll have to explain this to me in terms of Tinkertoy connections.

That reminds me, I owe you a story of how my neural nets failed me in a court of law, but perhaps shortened my jury duty imprisonment.:smile:

7. Jun 29, 2007 #6
    Remember, we're not even considering behaviour at the atomic level here, so understanding the transmission and impulse of neural information and the interaction between transmitters and axon terminals and dendrites and axons is already a lot easier and more convenient, given the nanotechnology and brain research technology we're aided with. So it's a bit dismissive to say that the "possibilities are endless."

The attraction between dendrites and other structures in a neural pathway is of course an electrostatic attraction. Just out of curiosity, what were you watching?

8. Jun 30, 2007 #7

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?