Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Behaviour of limits and their effect on equations

1. Jun 24, 2013 #1
    Hi,

I was wondering if some one could check my understanding of limits please.

If a limit is presetned as say x << y or x >> y am I right in thinking that x or y can be ignored as they are small enough to be insignificant? So, for example, if I had equation which was

sin(x/y)

in the situation where x << y only values of y are significant and where x >> y then only values of x are significant.

Or do I have this completely wrong??

Cheers for any advice

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have it wrong.

If you have an addition, for example 2x+3y and you are told x<<y then the x is so small that it is insignificant and you can approximate this by 3y and be OK.

But if you have a ratio like x/y, then being told x<<y doesn't let you make any simplification. If you try throwing away the x and writing it as 1/y then you're probably off by orders of magnitude which isn't a very good thing.

Sample calculations: If x<<y approximate the following:
    1) [tex] \frac{2x + 3y}{4x - y} [/tex]
    In this case the numerator is approximately 3y and the denominator is approximately -y, so this is going to be approximately -3.

2)
    [tex] \frac{ 2xy}{y} [/tex]
    The answer is obviously 2x. If you throw away the x because it's a lot smaller than y, you'll end up getting 2, which is not close to 2x unless x happens to be close to 1.

4. Jun 24, 2013 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

From what you've written, I don't think you're asking about limits, but instead are asking about how to approximate expressions in two variables, and it's given that x << y or y << x. Note that sin(x/y) is NOT an equation. An equation has an = symbol in it.

The following is an example of a limit:
    $$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{\sin (x)}{x}$$

It's possible to have limits in which a point (x, y) is approaching some fixed point (x0, y0), but it's very unusual for it to be given that x << y or the other way around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook