Being a vegetarian for health reasons

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Health
In summary: I don't know...looking up the food you want information on?In summary, there is still ongoing debate about whether a vegetarian diet provides specific health benefits or dangers compared to a diet that includes meat. It is possible for individuals to thrive on a vegetarian diet, but it is important to ensure a balanced diet and be aware of potential nutritional deficiencies. While there are many websites that provide general recommendations for a healthy diet, it can be difficult to find quantitative information in grams or milligrams. However, there are resources available that provide this information and it is important for individuals to educate themselves about their dietary needs and make informed choices.
ehrenfest said:
OK. You probably do deserve to know a little more about my past. Here's the quick story. I went through the American K through 12 school system in a pretty nice suburban public school district. Neither of my parents had careers in science or math and neither of them knew any advanced science or math. In fact, the same holds for everyone in my extended family as well.

High school introduced me to the excitement of math and science. I just finished my second year of college. I am majoring in math and physics. The courses I have taken over these two years and the students and professors I have met have opened up my eyes to mind-bogglingly new ideas. The math professors I have had, especially, have given me a entirely new different type of adult role model than my parents have. In general, the interactions I have with other people as a math and physics major have been shockingly different than the interaction I had when I lived with my parents.

This has led me to try to apply the kind of things I learned in math and physics courses to my personal life. I am just trying to take a more scientific/mathematical approach outside of the classroom. I have been going through all of the things I do by "habit" or that my parents taught me and asking myself if they really make sense. I find that a lot of them do not. The result is that I am adopting many new practices and I have a lot of questions about them. Sorry if I sound like a big baby.
You don't sound like a big baby, but you *do* seem to ignore the answers that are given to you.

It's great to question things as long as you can recognize when you are given the facts.

If you doubt the facts, do some research. Honestly, you will probably fair better here as far as getting straight answers than some of the junk that is out there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google healthy vegetarian diets and explore the links on the first page of results. Several good ones there. It's that easy. Look into combining foods to get complete proteins (the more variety of foods you eat, the more likely you are to get a complete protein). But, if you don't have a kitchen and are relying on food prepared by other people, unless you have a convenient vegetarian restaurant, you're going to have trouble staying healthy on a vegetarian diet. That's life in the US.

For the record, my parents didn't have any math or science background either...in fact, neither of them had anything past a high school education. I still knew how to fend for myself when I moved away to college.

As for dismissing what your parents did teach you, perhaps you shouldn't be so hasty about that. Rather than completely changing everything you do all at once, which seems to be leaving you rather confused and in a state of chaos, and instead of just emulating other people for rather irrational reasons as well (for example, just because someone is a scientist doesn't mean they have any healthier diet than those who are not scientists...I know plenty of unhealthy scientists...and it doesn't mean you're going to be a better scientist my mimicking them), take your time only changing little things at a time, seeing if they feel right, and deciding whether or not to stick with it after a trial period. For example, when your nearest food supply is either the cafeteria or Subway, it's probably not a good time to start a whole new diet. Instead, learn about the dietary options, taste vegetarian dishes when you have opportunities to do so, and when you have your own kitchen, learn to cook the dishes then. You don't even have to be 100% vegetarian. You might just decide that it's impossible to find food you like on that diet, and once in a while have a small piece of fish or chicken to balance things out.

And, above all else, use some common sense as you approach new ideas!

ehrenfest said:
Moonbear, this is a post that you wrote from another thread:

Color added for emphasis. I don't see how this is consistent with saying that everyone learns this stuff in elementary school.

The food pyramid is not the only source of nutritional information. It didn't even exist when I was in elementary school. You seem to just want to ignore any advice given to you, as if you already know better than everyone else, yet show some majorly basic gaps in your knowledge. It doesn't make people want to help you much when you seem so unwilling to help yourself.

Moonbear said:
Instead, learn about the dietary options, taste vegetarian dishes when you have opportunities to do so, and when you have your own kitchen, learn to cook the dishes then. You don't even have to be 100% vegetarian.

That makes sense. I think will try that.

Im eating salad right now. I like salad, its yummy. A good dressing my mom makes is olive oil, a tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette, a pinch of salt and pepper, and half a table spoon of dijon mustard. The mustard is the most important.

For the salad itself, I like the one from the supermarket that has those 'weeds' type salad.

Cyrus said:
Im eating salad right now. I like salad, its yummy. A good dressing my mom makes is olive oil, a tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette, a pinch of salt and pepper, and half a table spoon of dijon mustard. The mustard is the most important.

For the salad itself, I like the one from the supermarket that has those 'weeds' type salad.

:rofl: Weed salad? Dressing sounds good...that's a basic vinaigrette, and yes, the dijon mustard is key to get it to taste good.

Cyrus said:

Mmmmm. Yes, I agree...'wild greens' salad is delicious! Except the most important ingredient is the pepper...

But I don't like house salads. Tomatoes, maaaaaayyyybe. No carrots. I am more a cesar salad kinda person.

I just ate an entire bowl of salad. Probably enough for 4 people. But all the tomatoes are sitting on bottom of the bowl because I don't like them. :yuck:

Ah, the mixed greens, usually baby leaves of the folowwing arugula, frisee, mache, spinach, raddichio, sorrel, oak leaf lettuce, endive, swiss chard,

I love salad. I have to force the tomatoes down though. Italian dressing for the win!

I NEED tomatoes in my salad, but it can't be too many, either. I love Thousand Islands dressing. LOTS of onions, LOTS of lettuce. Cucumber, garlic, green peppers, spinach, whatever else, is awesome. Croutons, too.

Poop-Loops said:
I NEED tomatoes in my salad, but it can't be too many, either. I love Thousand Islands dressing. LOTS of onions, LOTS of lettuce. Cucumber, garlic, green peppers, spinach, whatever else, is awesome. Croutons, too.

Now that sounds like an awesome salad except no lettuce and lots of spinach. I only like Thousand Island if chicken is involved though :approve:

I love salad and love tomatoes, but prefer not having salad dressing ON my tomatoes (a vinaigrette is okay, but other dressings I'm not too fond of on tomatoes), so will try to separate out the tomatoes a bit. Nothing where I'll leave them behind if dressing gets on them, just it doesn't thrill me much.

I like stuff like sundried tomatoes, onions, chick peas, peppers, shredded carrots (only if it's shredded, I don't want them in big chunks), mushrooms, hard boiled eggs (not crumbled, halves), some bacon (real bacon, not fake bacon sprinkle stuff), and yes, I like that spring mix lettuce with all the variety in it plus some extra spinach with it and radicchio (sp?). If I can get some sunflower seeds or pepperoncini, maybe tiny broccoli or cauliflower florets even better. Ooh, and sprinkle some shredded asiago cheese on it! Yep, I could make a whole meal of salad. :approve:

Usually, I prefer a balsamic vinaigrette, like Cyrus described. But, if i add a lot of additional vegetables, sometimes a French dressing (the red one, not the creamy orange one), or if I add a little fried chicken on it then some honey mustard or blue cheese.

Drat, still an hour until lunch! Now I'm hungry. :frown:

Here's a picture of my favorite salad:

http://kaczmarskyj.com/images/family_recipe_images/steak%20and%20potatoes.jpg

it's that green thing on the left lower corner

Last edited by a moderator:
rewebster said:
Here's a picture of my favorite salad:

it's that green thing on the left lower corner

Ick! What have they drowned that beautiful steak in? Sacrilege!

Moonbear said:

Moreover why is it sooo red?!

Moonbear said:

I think it's pronounced-----'ahhhh...juice!'

RocketSurgery said:
Moreover why is it sooo red?!

Because that's the color it's supposed to be..it's RED meat! :biggrin: :approve:

Moonbear said:
Because that's the color it's supposed to be..it's RED meat! :biggrin: :approve:

Yuck:yuck:. Put it back on for 10 more mins and bring it back. :rofl:

Damn I'm getting hungry now. Breakfast time... Any salad recommendations?

RocketSurgery said:
Yuck:yuck:. Put it back on for 10 more mins and bring it back. :rofl:

Damn I'm getting hungry now. Breakfast time... Any salad recommendations?

you can have my 'green thing' on the plate

OK---test your IQ!

would you rather have this at a cozy neighborhood restaurant:

for $25?

or this at a "higher quality place":

http://blogs.menupages.com/chicago/military%20chef.JPG

for $125?

rewebster said:
you can have my 'green thing' on the plate

I'll take those potatoe thingys they look goooooood.

rewebster said:
OK---test your IQ!

for $25?

for $125?

The second one is the most disgusting thing ever. I wouldn't eat it if I got paied $125 per square inch!

They're $57.50---ala cart

edit:
ohhh---I thought you talking about the potatoes on the second plate (if those are even potatoes!)

Last edited:
rewebster said:
They're $57.50---ala cart

edit:
ohhh---I thought you talking about the potatoes on the second plate (if those are even potatoes!)

I've never seen potatoes carved into football shapes before. $125 for a sausage, funny little potatoes, and what looks like overcooked asparagus...or maybe it's some weeds picked from the front lawn? I'll take the steak and loaded potatoes, thanks.

Moonbear said:
I've never seen potatoes carved into football shapes before. $125 for a sausage, funny little potatoes, and what looks like overcooked asparagus...or maybe it's some weeds picked from the front lawn? I'll take the steak and loaded potatoes, thanks.

I'm waiting for someone to say, "but...

(and I wasn't meaning "but... ter, please!)

Last edited:
Nahh I was talking about on the steak plate. They look like those potatoe things with bacon that they have at my local diner.

Moonbear said:

Aren't the football things like frog eggs?

RocketSurgery said:

I thought they were lizard or snake eggs---

mmmmmm!... when was the last time you had a REALLY GOOD lizard egg?

RocketSurgery said:
That would have to be a rather large frog! (Frog's eggs look like fish eggs...think little like caviar.)

rewebster said:
I thought they were lizard or snake eggs---

mmmmmm!... when was the last time you had a REALLY GOOD lizard egg?

:uhh: I really just thought they were little potatoes with some parsley or something sprinkled on them.

That sausage looks really greasy too. It better be made out of some endangered species to cost $125 though.

rewebster said:
OK---test your IQ!

for $25?

for $125?

The answer is, it depends. They both look good. If its a special ocassion, then the $125 dollar one might be more appropriate. Also, that may just be one of several courses that are included in the cost. (Its its a really expensive joint, it may be just for that one dish though).

Most of the time when I go to a restaurant and order a steak I say med rare, and it always comes to the med-well done side.

As for those 'football' shaped things, there probably onions.

Cyrus said:
Most of the time when I go to a restaurante and order a steak I say med rare, and it always comes to the med-well done side.

That's true. I like my steak between rare and medium rare, but it's nearly impossible to get it served that way in a restaurant.

lisab said:
That's true. I like my steak between rare and medium rare, but it's nearly impossible to get it served that way in a restaurant.

Usually, you don't have to ask for med-rare at a more expensive resturant. Thats how it comes by default (because a real chef knows how to make it properly). Its not supposed to be chared to the point of being chewing gum, which is what always happens when I tell the waiter med-RARE. Now I just tell them rare to get it medium.

Anyway, ehrenfest, if you do become (or are) a vegetarian----it may be good to read up on the 'nutrients' needed ---I think I remember reading that B-12 was one that needed to be watched. Try doing a Google of variations of 'dangers/precautions/etc. (variations of those words) vegetarian diet'

It makes perfectly good sense. You can get all the nutrition in fruits, veggies, and nuts. There is a lot of protein in nuts, and vitimins and minerals in the fruit and veggies. The truth is, you can take out all dairy products too, by substituting rice/soy milk for the real thing. I think it even tastes better, too! :smile: I am speaking from experience here, I was a vegetarian(for more than half my life), and also am lactose intolerant. Everything is the same, you don't have to really worry about not getting enough nutrition, if you feel or your doctor feels you aren't getting enough, then try just taking vitamins, if you still want to go the route of becoming a vegetarian. Good things will come of it, and your body will feel much better, and less tired, but make sure you do some more research to know if this is what you really want to do :)