Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Being a vegetarian for health reasons

1. May 4, 2008 #1
    Does it make sense to be a vegetarian purely for health reasons?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2008 #2
    A balanced diet is a balanced diet. I think the debate is still ongoing however as to whether there are specific health benefits/dangers in eating meat that are eliminated with a vegetarian diet. I've known many a person who lived quite well on vegetarian diets and many people whose health suffered on vegetarian diets. I couldn't say I know enough though to determine if those that were in ill health were not managing a balanced diet. Of course it's possible that different people will react differently and may have different dietary needs that may or may not be met with a vegetarian diet.

4. May 4, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just be careful to blend vegetables appropriately to get complete proteins. If you still include some dairy products in your diet, it's easier to eat a healthy vegetarian diet than if you eliminate all animal products completely. For purely health reasons, there's no reason to choose one diet over another, as long as it's balanced, like StatutoryApe already pointed out.

5. May 4, 2008 #4
    OK. Thanks for that advice. I have been a vegetarian for about six months now. I try to follow the recommendations for eating healthy but one major problem is that it is so hard to find a good source for meal-to-meal nutrition. Sure there are tons of websites that give you a general description of what is healthy (e.g. "avoid excessive saturated fat" or "maintain of a good ratio between carbohydrates and lipids (4:1)" ). I have been trying to find something quantitative for a long time.

I tried this site:

http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

but the problem is that they list their recommended values in cups. I have no idea what a cup is and nutrition facts on food labels are always listed in grams or milligrams. I wish I could find something similar to that site that listed the recommended intakes in grams or milligrams so I can compare them to the food labels. Please let me know if there is any site that meets that description.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  6. May 4, 2008 #5

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could google what a cup is, no?

7. May 4, 2008 #6
    Even if I knew what a cup was that still does not change the fact that nutrition labels list everything in grams not cups.

8. May 4, 2008 #7

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

One could, if one knows the conversion, convert the info in cups into info in grams.

9. May 4, 2008 #8
    We don't live in a universe where there is a universal conversion factor between the two. It would be insane to look up conversion factors between mass and volume for every type of food I might eat.

10. May 4, 2008 #9

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The wiki page says cups are used to measure vegetables, and liquids... the site you give returns only vegetables and liquids in cup form.

11. May 4, 2008 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

12. May 4, 2008 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This isn't really all that difficult, it's a simple conversion process. You know now what a cup is in terms of milliliters, so if you do not have cups available where you are, you can measure out the food in milliliters based on that conversion factor. If you're basing your measures on weights, you must already have a kitchen scale to know how much you're eating of a certain weight, so just dump the volume on the scale...instant conversion. Or, just use the nutrition label itself to determine what's in the food...it tells you already what is a serving and how much of many nutrients are in that serving. It's just a little practically applied knowledge that any science student ought to be able to handle.

13. May 4, 2008 #12
    I don't understand how that site is converting cups (volume) into grams (mass) without saying what the substance is.

No, I don't have a kitchen scale. I usually only eat at places that post their nutrition facts online. I am trying to compare the intake recommendations that myPyrimad.gov (which is in cups) to information on the nutritional labels (which is in grams). I don't see how any of these methods help me with that.

14. May 4, 2008 #13
    There are problems of being a 'veg' if don't become aware of them. One of my ex's ended up in the hospital due to some nutrient deficiency. (I poke fun at it to some extent still when I don't fill in all the 'blanks'.) But, it can be very serious. It sounds like it may be good if you read up some more.

15. May 4, 2008 #14

russ_watters

The assumption is that most of the fluids you drink are mostly water: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_ounce

16. May 4, 2008 #15

Evo

Oh good lord, you look up whatever food you want information on. Ever try reading?

17. May 4, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a hint...if you're only eating at places that post nutritional info online, you're eating crap. And only vegetarian from those places? What are you getting, fast food fries and salad?

18. May 4, 2008 #17
    I'm having trouble understanding how exactly you translate cups into grams myself. I mean unless everything you are measuring in cups is wet and liquid. Perhaps nonliquids measure out nearly the same so long as they are wet but what about dry and semi dry substances or particularly dense substances?

19. May 4, 2008 #18
    Here's a hint:

convert cups into pints, pints into pounds, pounds into feet, feet into ergs---and then ergs into grams.

that should help

20. May 4, 2008 #19

Evo

The website I furnished shows weight in grams and ounces and even has a converter.

In answer to your question http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_grams_are_in_a_cup

The conversion site they recommend is http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/cookingconversions.asp

Seriously, this isn't rocket surgery. :biggrin:

21. May 4, 2008 #20
    funny--you're just a Veetoo cut up

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?