Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Belle Gunness show on Norwegian TV tonight!

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

She knew what she wanted, and when she was tired of it.
    An ideal for modern women, perhaps?:smile:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 4, 2006 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Now I've seen the program. I think she was a mean b*tch.
    An interesting bit of info about her that I didn't know before:
    When Belle (or, rather Brynhild) was 17 years old and living in her home village Selbu, she got pregnant, probably with a wealthy farmer's son (she herself was a crofter's daughter). When she confronted him about the baby, he gave her a savage kick in the stomach so that she lost her child. Locally it is said that Brynhild's personality changed dramatically after this traumatic event, and that she became rather weird.

Some years later, after she had saved up enough money, she left for the United States.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  4. Sep 4, 2006 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I'm not familiar with her.

5. Sep 4, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No biggie. She was a mean b*tch that killed lots of people long ago in Chicago, or somesuch.

6. Sep 4, 2006 #5
    Same ol' story, huh?

7. Sep 5, 2006 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

She is the archetypical "Black Widow":
    Aside from (probably) killing her two husbands and collecting their life insurance money, she made it her specialty to lure single men of means to her farm under the promise of marriage and joint ownership of her hog farm.
    She got her victims by placing lonely hearts ads in newspapers all over US.

When somebody promising sent a letter to her, they were asked to bring with them large amounts of cash as a mark of sincerity, and since she was a widow who needed to keep her reputation above reproach, she implored them not to tell anyone they were to stay at her place.
    When she got tired of having sex with them after a few days, she killed them.
    She did away with about 30 of them before she mysteriously disappeared.
    Their bodies (or body parts) were dug up on her farm at Laporte, Illinois in 1908.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?