Bending and welding Aluminium 2mm sections

In summary, the user is looking for a lightweight camera mount for their drone that will support 200gms and have the ability to be bent to angles of 80-110 degrees without breaking. They are also concerned about dynamic effects and fatigue.
RKD89
Hi

I am planning to make a light weight camera mount for my RC multicopter (drone).

Issue is due to irregular shape of the camera, need for the mount to be light weight, and setting up a small angle of inclination (5-10 degrees) the only solution I have come up with is to use light weight thin aluminium channels.

The channels will be need to be bend by angles (80-110) range and also will be needed to be joined.

I know welding aluminium is not that easy but I am sure I can find someone to do it.

The aluminium sections are basically thin 2 mm strips, about 25mm wide.

Now the questions:
  1. Will the bend sections be able to support 200gms of the camera (and self weight of about 80gms).
  2. Will it be possible to bend the sections without breaking them?
  3. Will it be possible to weld (or even solder) 2mm thick sections (are they too thin for TIG?)
  4. Any other light weight material that can be bend in between flights to adjust for angles( any other metal I suppose?)
  5. The mount will be isolated from vibrations. I am still concerned about dynamic effects and fatigue?
    Should I be?
Looking forward to your replies.

Engineering news on Phys.org
RKD89 said:
Hi

I am planning to make a light weight camera mount for my RC multicopter (drone).

Issue is due to irregular shape of the camera, need for the mount to be light weight, and setting up a small angle of inclination (5-10 degrees) the only solution I have come up with is to use light weight thin aluminium channels.

The channels will be need to be bend by angles (80-110) range and also will be needed to be joined.

I know welding aluminium is not that easy but I am sure I can find someone to do it.

The aluminium sections are basically thin 2 mm strips, about 25mm wide.

Now the questions:
  1. Will the bend sections be able to support 200gms of the camera (and self weight of about 80gms).
  2. Will it be possible to bend the sections without breaking them?
  3. Will it be possible to weld (or even solder) 2mm thick sections (are they too thin for TIG?)
  4. Any other light weight material that can be bend in between flights to adjust for angles( any other metal I suppose?)
  5. The mount will be isolated from vibrations. I am still concerned about dynamic effects and fatigue?
    Should I be?
Looking forward to your replies.

It's impossible to answer these questions in general. You should sit down with someone and go over what it is you want to mount on your drone and how you want it done.

For aluminum, no one fabricates something like you describe by welding and bending individual pieces parts.

Aluminum 2 mm thick is pretty thin. Heck, it's pretty thin in steel.

There are a number of different extruded sections out there, with much more complicated cross sections than a simple L or T. Perhaps one of these sections could be adapted to your application? Instead of building up to what you want, select an existing piece and see if it can be modified by removing material.

Thanks for the reply

It's a DIY/hobby project so I can't go for die casting or CNC machining the mount out of a large block of Al.

I have actually worked with Al , 4mm thick strip for making a landing gear and it worked fine.

The problem is I am mounting a very irregularly shaped camera. My options are to either make a custom Al mount, buy expensive (but relatively flimsy) glass fiber or 3d printed mounts available online or just strap the camera using some velco straps onto the drone.

3D printed plastic structures last few operation cycles only and soon fail

I will upload the CAD model soon fr your reference.

Here is the cad model to get an idea

Attachments

• camera_mount.png
    camera_mount.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 568
  • camera_mount.png
    camera_mount.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 579

1. How do you bend aluminium 2mm sections?

Aluminium 2mm sections can be bent using a variety of methods such as using a press brake, rolling, or using a bending machine. The most common method is using a press brake, which applies pressure to the sheet metal to bend it into the desired shape.

2. What is the best way to weld aluminium 2mm sections?

The best way to weld aluminium 2mm sections is through Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG) welding. This method uses a non-consumable tungsten electrode to create the weld and a shielding gas to protect the weld from atmospheric contamination. TIG welding produces high-quality, clean welds on aluminium.

3. What are the safety precautions to take when bending and welding aluminium 2mm sections?

Safety precautions for bending and welding aluminium 2mm sections include wearing protective gear such as gloves, eye protection, and a welding helmet. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and to be aware of the potential hazards of working with high temperatures and electrical equipment.

4. Can aluminium 2mm sections be bent and welded without special equipment?

While it is possible to bend and weld aluminium 2mm sections without special equipment, it is not recommended. Specialized tools such as a press brake and TIG welder are necessary for precise and high-quality results. Attempting to bend and weld without these tools can result in weak and uneven joints.

5. What are the benefits of using aluminium 2mm sections for bending and welding?

Aluminium 2mm sections are lightweight, strong, and have excellent corrosion resistance, making them an ideal material for bending and welding. They are also more cost-effective than other metals, such as steel, and can be easily formed into complex shapes. Additionally, aluminium is a highly recyclable material, making it an environmentally friendly choice for construction and manufacturing projects.