Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo: How does it work?

Main Question or Discussion Point

I have scoliosis (congenital, unknown cause), and according to my physiotherapist and my otorhinolaryngologist, the problem with my case is orthopedic. Thursday I asked my vestibular physiotherapist some article that explained my situation. I eat something or drink some juice (the vertigo goes from the morning until to the afternoon and I take medicines in the night), I get weak, but when I drink coffee, my vertigo goes away partially.

As I said earlier, I wanted some paper that explained my condition (I don't have any ear disease), but she said that would be very technical. So I would like a paper that explains this in a simple way. I would appreciate a lot. If you don't have the paper, I would appreciate of the same way.

Answers and Replies

jambaugh
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This is what I found after 15min on Google. http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/caffeine-effect-in-vestibular-system.html
Note that in the Results & Discussion section there's something about the effects of caffeine on the calcium response which in turn affects the resetting of the sensory neurons (an important issue I would imagine when you have misfiring nerves causing tinnitus and vertigo.)

My little internet search is by no means conclusive but that might give you a starting point to do your own research. Do you also experience any tinnitus (persistent ringing of the ears)?

This is what I found after 15min on Google.
http://www.tinnitusjournal.com/articles/caffeine-effect-in-vestibular-system.html

Note that in the Results & Discussion section there's something about the effects of caffeine on the calcium response which in turn affects the resetting of the sensory neurons (an important issue I would imagine when you have misfiring nerves causing tinnitus and vertigo)

My little internet search is by no means conclusive but that might give you a starting point to do your own research. Do you also experience any tinnitus (persistent ringing of the ears)?
Rarely, but I feel. When I walk, I fall to the right side walking.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I appreciate you, Jam!