Bernoulli's Equation: Finding the net force of wind blowing over a house

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 6K views
blueorchid
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


If wind blows at 35m/s over a house, what is the net force on the roof if its area is 240m^2 and is flat?

Homework Equations


P=F/A and P1 + 1/2pv^2 = constant

The Attempt at a Solution


I have no idea on how to find pressure, because if I sub it into P1 + 1/2pv^2 = constant, it wouldn't work because the pressures would turn out the same because the roof is flat.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's funny. I don't see a term for 'flat roof' in the Bernoulli equation.

However, look at the situation this way. The air under the roof is stagnant and has no velocity. The air above the roof is blowing with a velocity of 35 m/s.
What you are saying is that P1 + 1/2p*0 = P1 + 1/2p*35^2