Berry phase of 1/2 spin in slowly rotating magnetic field

In summary, The problem involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenstates of a Hamiltonian with an arbitrary magnetic field direction. The electron is fixed in space, so only the spin component needs to be considered. The value is always 0, regardless of the derivative used. The full Hamiltonian given in the problem does not contain a Laplacian operator. The goal is to evaluate the berry phase, which can be found in the last line of relevant equations using the Dell operator.
BREAD

Homework Statement

upload_2017-9-28_14-59-23.png

Homework Equations

upload_2017-9-28_15-4-20.png

This is the way to solve when magnetic field B is arbitrary direction one.

The Attempt at a Solution

upload_2017-9-28_15-0-2.png

I got a eigenvalue of this Hamiltonian and eigenstates.
but i have no idea how to set a coordinate to value the gradient

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-28_14-59-12.png
    upload_2017-9-28_14-59-12.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 817
Physics news on Phys.org
The electron is fixed in space, hence the spatial part of the quantum state is irrelevant. You only need to concentrate on what happens to the spin.

DrClaude said:
The electron is fixed in space, hence the spatial part of the quantum state is irrelevant. You only need to concentrate on what happens to the spin.
upload_2017-9-28_19-8-22.png

This value is always 0 , even though i derivative (wt) by theta or pi

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-28_19-5-44.png
    upload_2017-9-28_19-5-44.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 583
I don't understand why you are invoking eq. (2.6.6) at all. The full Hamiltonian to be considered is given in the problem, and it has no Laplacian operator.

DrClaude said:
I don't understand why you are invoking eq. (2.6.6) at all. The full Hamiltonian to be considered is given in the problem, and it has no Laplacian operator.

I think you don't know how to evaluate berry phase, you should look at the last line of relevant equations. There is Dell operator

Related to Berry phase of 1/2 spin in slowly rotating magnetic field

What is the Berry phase of 1/2 spin in slowly rotating magnetic field?

The Berry phase of 1/2 spin in slowly rotating magnetic field refers to the geometric phase acquired by a quantum system with a spin of 1/2 when subjected to a slowly varying magnetic field. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that describes how the wavefunction of a system changes in response to adiabatic (slow) changes in its parameters.

How is the Berry phase experimentally observed?

The Berry phase can be experimentally observed through a variety of techniques, such as nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR), electron spin resonance (ESR), and neutron spin echo spectroscopy. These methods involve manipulating the spin of particles and measuring the resulting phase shift, allowing for the detection of the Berry phase.

What are the applications of the Berry phase in physics?

The Berry phase has a wide range of applications in physics, including in the fields of quantum computing, topological insulators, and quantum information theory. It has also been used in the study of condensed matter systems, such as superconductors and quantum Hall systems.

How does the Berry phase affect the behavior of particles?

The Berry phase plays an important role in the behavior of particles, particularly in the presence of external fields. It can cause particles to exhibit interesting quantum effects, such as spin precession and spin flips, and can also affect the energy spectrum of a system. In topological insulators, the Berry phase is responsible for the unique properties of the electronic states at the material's surface.

What are some current research areas related to the Berry phase?

Currently, there is ongoing research in various areas related to the Berry phase, including its application in quantum computing and information processing, its role in topological phases of matter, and its relationship with other fundamental concepts in physics, such as gauge fields and symmetry breaking. There is also interest in exploring the potential applications of the Berry phase in other fields, such as chemistry and material science.