Berry phase of 1/2 spin in slowly rotating magnetic field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
BREAD
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


upload_2017-9-28_14-59-23.png


Homework Equations


upload_2017-9-28_15-4-20.png


This is the way to solve when magnetic field B is arbitrary direction one.

The Attempt at a Solution


upload_2017-9-28_15-0-2.png


I got a eigenvalue of this Hamiltonian and eigenstates.
but i have no idea how to set a coordinate to value the gradient
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-9-28_14-59-12.png
    upload_2017-9-28_14-59-12.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 924
Physics news on Phys.org
The electron is fixed in space, hence the spatial part of the quantum state is irrelevant. You only need to concentrate on what happens to the spin.
 
DrClaude said:
The electron is fixed in space, hence the spatial part of the quantum state is irrelevant. You only need to concentrate on what happens to the spin.
upload_2017-9-28_19-8-22.png


This value is always 0 , even though i derivative (wt) by theta or pi
 
Attachments
  • upload_2017-9-28_19-5-44.png
    upload_2017-9-28_19-5-44.png
    32.4 KB · Views: 691
I don't understand why you are invoking eq. (2.6.6) at all. The full Hamiltonian to be considered is given in the problem, and it has no Laplacian operator.
 
DrClaude said:
I don't understand why you are invoking eq. (2.6.6) at all. The full Hamiltonian to be considered is given in the problem, and it has no Laplacian operator.

I think you don't know how to evaluate berry phase, you should look at the last line of relevant equations. There is Dell operator