Berry's Curvature Equation cross product calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses an example in the textbook "Heisenberg's Quantum Mechanics" where Berry's curvature is calculated using an equation (1). The textbook claims that adding the term m = n simplifies the equation to (2). The symbol ∧ is used to represent 'and' in logic or cross product. The question is how the author derived this claim and how it led to equation (2) from equation (1). The reasoning provided by the individual is not considered valid and an alternative is requested. The skeptic suggests using LaTeX for complex equations and expresses doubt towards the textbook's definition of the wedge symbol.
wondering12
Hi,
The following textbook Heisenberg's Quantum Mechanics shows an example of calculating Berry's curvature (top page on pg 518). It led to a following equation
Vm= (- 1/B2 ) * i *∑ ( <m,B|S|n,B> ∧ <n,B|S|m,B> ) / A2 ...[1]
the textbook claims that we add the term m = n since <m|S|m> ∧ <m|S|m> = 0 then the above equation simplifies to
Vm= (- 1/B2 ) * i * ∑( <m,B|S ∧ S|n,B> ) / A2....[2]

The symbol ∧ stands for 'and' in logic or cross product.
My question is how the author derived that claim and how it led to that equation [2] from equation [1] ?

My reasoning is that |n,B> 'and' <n,B| are both true therefore ( |n,B> 'and' <n,B|) = 1 which is equal to 1 'and' 1 however I do not believe that my reasoning is a valid one. What is the alternative to this?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What textbook is this? How can there be a logical operator in an equation of complex numbers? Sometimes the wedge is used to denote vector products (or the related wedge product in Cartan calculus notation), but also this doesn't make much sense here.

I'd be very sceptical towards this book, if this is really written there with such a definition for the wedge symbol. Also, please use LaTeX for complex formulae like this. Your posting is really quite diffcult to read.

1. What is Berry's Curvature Equation?

Berry's Curvature Equation is a mathematical equation used in quantum mechanics to describe the geometric phase acquired by a quantum system as it evolves through a parameter space. It is named after physicist Sir Michael Berry who first introduced the equation in 1984.

2. What is the cross product calculation in Berry's Curvature Equation?

The cross product calculation in Berry's Curvature Equation involves taking the cross product of two vectors to determine the direction and magnitude of the geometric phase. It is an essential part of the equation and helps to characterize the curvature of the quantum system's evolution.

3. How is Berry's Curvature Equation used in quantum mechanics?

Berry's Curvature Equation is used to understand the geometric phase acquired by a quantum system as it evolves through a parameter space. It helps to explain various phenomena in quantum mechanics, such as the Aharonov-Bohm effect and the quantization of energy levels in molecules.

4. What are the applications of Berry's Curvature Equation?

Berry's Curvature Equation has applications in various fields such as condensed matter physics, quantum information theory, and quantum computing. It is also used in designing quantum algorithms and understanding topological phases of matter.

5. Is the cross product calculation in Berry's Curvature Equation difficult to understand?

The cross product calculation in Berry's Curvature Equation may seem complex at first, but with a basic understanding of vector calculus and quantum mechanics, it can be easily understood. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and has been extensively studied and applied in various research areas.