Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Berry's Curvature Equation cross product calculation

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    Hi,
    The following textbook Heisenberg's Quantum Mechanics shows an example of calculating Berry's curvature (top page on pg 518). It led to a following equation
    Vm= (- 1/B2 ) * i *∑ ( <m,B|S|n,B> ∧ <n,B|S|m,B> ) / A2 ................[1]
    the textbook claims that we add the term m = n since <m|S|m> ∧ <m|S|m> = 0 then the above equation simplifies to
    Vm= (- 1/B2 ) * i * ∑( <m,B|S ∧ S|n,B> ) / A2.................[2]

The symbol ∧ stands for 'and' in logic or cross product.
    My question is how the author derived that claim and how it led to that equation [2] from equation [1] ?

My reasoning is that |n,B> 'and' <n,B| are both true therefore ( |n,B> 'and' <n,B|) = 1 which is equal to 1 'and' 1 however I do not believe that my reasoning is a valid one. What is the alternative to this?
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

What textbook is this? How can there be a logical operator in an equation of complex numbers? Sometimes the wedge is used to denote vector products (or the related wedge product in Cartan calculus notation), but also this doesn't make much sense here.

I'd be very sceptical towards this book, if this is really written there with such a definition for the wedge symbol. Also, please use LaTeX for complex formulae like this. Your posting is really quite diffcult to read.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook