1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best Book for learning Algebra 2

1. Mar 19, 2013 #1
    I am a freshman in high school I would like to major on physics and most likely in mathematics in college so I figured it would be worthwhile to start learning more math. In school I am currently learning geometry and next year my class will cover Algebra II. I was wondering what would be the best book for me to learn and hopefully master Algebra II. I have heard of Gelfand's book, Algebra. Would that give me a complete understanding of Algebra II or would I need an actually Algebra II text book for understanding Algebra II, if so what would be the best textbook. I would also like to keep the price of the book to around 20 dollars or less.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2013 #2
    Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Mar 19, 2013 #3

eumyang

Homework Helper

I like the Algebra series by Lial/Hornsby/McGinnis. These are textbooks for remedial math students in college, but they have been used by homeschooled students. The book that corresponds to Algebra 2 is called Intermediate Algebra. The latest edition in paperback is the 10th edition; do not get this. Instead, find an earlier edition for cheap. Here is a link for the 8th edition at Amazon. Note that Intermediate Algebra does not include linear systems, matrices, or trig. The authors cover those topics in their Precalculus book.

Another book that is popular for homeschooled students is Algebra and Trigonometry by Foerster. This book does include linear systems, matrices, and some trig. The book is out of date in that there is no correlation with graphing calculators, but that may be a good thing. At the moment the cheapest copy at "www.amazon.com/dp/0131657100"[/URL] is a little under $30.

5. Mar 19, 2013 #4
    I have heard a lot of good things about The Art of Problem Solving books.

6. Mar 19, 2013 #5

eumyang

Homework Helper

As have I. I can't believe I forgot to mention those earlier. :wink:

7. Mar 19, 2013 #6
  8. Mar 19, 2013 #7
    I was talking about the AoPS curriculum, not the contest prep books. They have texts on algebra, probability, number theory, geometry, calculus, etc. I don't see why these books would not be good on their own. If you mean their contest prep books, then I agree.

9. Mar 22, 2013 #8
    I'm now thinking of using Algebra and Trigonometry by Foerster it seems to be getting very good reviews. Do you think this book would give me a complete understanding of Algebra II?

10. Mar 25, 2013 #9
    Is this a good Algebra II book?

I'm a freshman in high school and I want to learn Algebra II. I'm now thinking of using Algebra and Trigonometry by Foerster it seems to be getting very good reviews. Do you think this book would give me a complete understanding of Algebra II? If/once I finish this book what would be the next book I should get? I want to eventually learn calculus.

11. Apr 6, 2013 #10

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. Apr 15, 2013 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

(two threads merged)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted