1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other Best book for nonlinear dynamics for a beginner

1. Apr 24, 2016 #1
    What would be the best book for me if I want to learn nonlinear dynamics ? I have my basics clear in linear differential equations, linear system theory, integral transforms and random process if they suffice as prerequisites.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2
    I think Strogatz's Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos is a good introduction. A course's worth of his lectures teaching a class with this text is available online, as well. The lectures are on the YouTube channel "Cornell MAE" as a playlist.

Shlomo Sternberg's Dynamical Systems is a good companion or second book on this topic. It starts off at a slightly higher level of prerequisites, and has some overlap. I find this to be helpful, to get a more mathematical second look at some topics. As a bonus, Sternberg's text is a Dover publication, so it's inexpensive.

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    One of my profs also suggested me to start with Strogatz. In google books and in some lecture video i see the references are given from Hilborn ; how is that book ? Obviously i would go for the simplest one,whichever it is.

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4
    Strogatz is designed for an interdisciplinary course, so the prerequisites are rather low for this sort of book.

I haven't read Hilborn, but from the table of contents, it seems like he goes into more depth on fewer topics than Strogatz does. I can't say for sure, but it also looks like it has a higher level of difficulty, as material covered in the main body of Strogatz is in appendices in Hilborn. I'd say that Hilborn looks like a good book to check out of the library or borrow through interlibrary loan after having worked through most of Strogatz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted