Best book for software and hardware

In summary, the conversation discusses the best book for computer hardware and the topic of drivers for different devices. The conversation mentions LCD and 3D monitors, optical drives, motherboards, CPUs, RAM, and graphics cards as components of computer hardware. The topic of courses to cover these components is also mentioned. The conversation also touches on the best book for software.
member 433440
What book is the best for computer hardware?

I want to know how the computer reads information inputted. There's motherboards that read electricity and outputs something onto a screen.

LCD monitors
3d monitors
Optical drive
Motherboard
CPU
Ram
Graphics card

Also what course am I looking for to cover these.

What's the best book for software?

Thankyou

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be misunderstanding your question but what I think you're looking for are drivers.

A driver is a bit of software that tells your computer how to interpret the data coming in from a particular device. For example, a number of different devices use USB to connect to your computer. For example, how does your computer know what to do when it receives signals from its USB port when a thumb-drive is plugged in rather than a mouse? Device drivers.

Maybe that will help you dig a little more deeply on the subject in the mean time. I don't have much more to offer than that, sorry. In particular, I have no book recommendations.

Good luck!

1. What makes a book the "best" for learning about software and hardware?

The best book for learning about software and hardware should have a clear and organized structure, cover relevant and up-to-date topics, provide practical examples and exercises, and be written in a language that is easy to understand for beginners.

2. Is it better to focus on software or hardware when choosing a book?

It ultimately depends on your personal interests and goals. If you want to learn how to code and develop software, then a book that focuses on software would be more beneficial. If you are interested in building and understanding computer hardware, then a book that covers hardware would be a better choice.

3. Can I learn about both software and hardware from the same book?

Yes, there are many books that cover both software and hardware. However, it is important to carefully read the book's description and reviews to ensure that it covers both topics in enough depth and detail to meet your learning needs.

4. Are there any specific books that are recommended for beginners?

Yes, there are many books that are specifically designed for beginners in the field of software and hardware. Some popular options include "Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software" by Charles Petzold, "The Pragmatic Programmer" by Andrew Hunt and David Thomas, and "Computer Organization and Design" by David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessy.

5. Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to understand these books?

No, most books for beginners assume no prior knowledge or experience in software and hardware. However, having a basic understanding of computer concepts and terminology can make the learning process easier and more efficient.