Best bound for simple inequality

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the best constant for the inequality \int_0^\mu f(x) dx \le K \int_0^1 f(x) dx for a given function f(x) \in C^1(0,1) with certain conditions. The conclusion is that the best constant is K = 1 and this is proven through a specific example and a proof is provided.
AiRAVATA
Hello all, the problem I have is the following:

Suppose [itex]f \in C^1(0,1)[/itex] and [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex], then

[tex]
f^2(x) \le \int_0^1 f^2(x) dx,
[/tex]

but I was wondering if 1 is the best constant for the inequality. In other words, how do I determine the best bound for

[tex]
f^2(x) \le K \int_0^1 f^2(x) dx,
[/tex]

for K positive?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes,1 is the best possible. Try the functions f_n(x)=x^n.

I see. Thanks a lot.

Let's see if I got it.

Suppose I want to find the best constant for the inequality

[tex] \int_0^\mu f(x) dx \le K \int_0^1 f(x) dx,[/tex]

where [itex]f(x) \in C^1(0,1)[/itex], [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex], [itex]f(x) \ge 0[/itex], and [itex]0 \le \mu \le 1[/itex].

Let

[tex]f_n(x) = \begin{cases} \frac{n+2}{n+3} x(2\mu -x), &0 < x \le \mu, \\
\\
\frac{n+2}{n+3} \mu^2 \mbox{sech} [(n+2)(\mu-x)], &\mu < x < 1. \end{cases}[/tex]

If [itex] s_n = \int_0^\mu f(x) dx[/itex], and [itex]S_n = \int_0^1 f(x) dx[/itex], then

[tex]\bigl\{s_n\bigr\} \nearrow \frac{2 \mu^3}{3}, \mbox{ and }\bigl\{S_n\bigr\} \searrow \frac{2 \mu^3}{3},[/tex]

so the best constant is [itex]K = 1[/itex].

Is the proof correct?

Last edited:

What is a "best bound" for a simple inequality?

A "best bound" for a simple inequality refers to the most optimal or tightest upper or lower limit that can be placed on a particular variable or expression in an inequality. It is typically used in mathematical and scientific contexts to determine the maximum or minimum value of a quantity.

How is a "best bound" determined for a simple inequality?

The process of determining a "best bound" for a simple inequality involves finding the value of the variable or expression that satisfies the inequality while also being as close to the upper or lower limit as possible. This can be done through algebraic manipulation, graphing, or using numerical methods such as calculus or optimization techniques.

Why is finding a "best bound" important in scientific research?

In scientific research, finding a "best bound" for a simple inequality can provide valuable insights into the behavior and limitations of a particular system or phenomenon. It can also help in making predictions and drawing conclusions based on the available data, as well as identifying areas for further investigation.

What are some common applications of "best bound" in scientific fields?

"Best bound" is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to determine the maximum or minimum values of physical quantities, optimize processes and systems, and analyze data and experimental results.

Are there any limitations to using "best bound" for simple inequalities?

While "best bound" provides a useful framework for analyzing and understanding inequalities, it is important to note that it is still based on assumptions and approximations. Therefore, the results obtained from using "best bound" may not always be entirely accurate or applicable in all situations.