Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best electronics/software of 2005

1. Nov 25, 2005 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This list was compiled by PC World, way back in July. Now that it's near the end of the year and new products have come out since, would anyone like to make changes to the top ten (even if it's a little hard to judge reliability over a short time-scale) ? In any case, which of the top products are you really happy with and deserve to belong there ? Also, which ones do you think do not deserve their spots ?

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120763,pg,12,00.asp

The new Xbox, perhaps ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2005 #2
    I wouldnt want Skype to be there, it takes too much of resources and uses up a lot of bandwith. I voice chat for 1 hr the bandwith usage is 45 MB compared to yahoo's just 6 MB

4. Nov 26, 2005 #3

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Google search engine at 16 is suprising. I would have thought that it should be at 1.
    Under what criteria do they rate the products? I would think that Google search would blow away competetion for it's sheer usefulness.

5. Nov 26, 2005 #4
    what the hell is an alienware pc on there for?
    Why is Mac OS X on there? Because it doesn't suck AS BAD as the last ones????

Firefox and Gmail definitely do deserve number 1 and 2 spots though. Google search isn't new, so I'm not sure if it could be as number 1. If google search is on there, why isn't wikipedia on there? :(

6. Nov 26, 2005 #5

ranger

Gold Member

Was expecting to see SuSe Linux up there. Hey the fox is a #1, cool!!!

7. Nov 26, 2005 #6
    So was I, it is way better than Mac OS X IMHO

8. Nov 26, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wiki is at #60. How many people do think want to learn stuff ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?