Music to Lift Your Soul: 4 Genres & Honorable Mention

• Music
  • Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lift Music
In summary, the classical genre is very popular, with four pieces represented. The best music ever is classical, with JS Bach's "Air On A G String" standing out. Hard rock is also popular, with Fit For Rivals and your Worst Mistake being two examples. Country is another genre that is well-represented, with Jed Zeppelin and Merle Haggard being particularly popular. And finally, there is some great fusion music represented, with Cartoon Theory's "Wizardry Mind" and 826aska's "A Whole New World" being particular favorites.
Ivan Seeking said:
The song about a legend that became a legend... American Pie. Trivia: Who and what event were the subjects of the song?

Richie Valens, Buddy Holly, and the Big Bopper

Science news on Phys.org
Chooky's 'Fairy Bread':

A variation on a classic blues/rock tune

Booker T and the MGs, with Daryl Hall.

The Original (RHINO Records)

Likes pinball1970 and hutchphd
Last edited:
dlgoff said:
Video unavailable
Watch on YouTube
:(
Clicking on the link "Watch on YouTube" should take one to the song/tune. Many music videos on Youtube are only watchable on youtube unfortunately.Another unique "progressive" rock sound from Genesis, "Firth of Fifth".

A different version

A live performance with Steve Hackett

I had a friend in college who played keyboards. He got ejected from a Genesis concert after he rushed the stage and attempted to play the keyboards with Tony Banks. My friend was tripping and momentarily lost contact with reality.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970
Astronuc said:
Clicking on the link "Watch on YouTube" should take one to the song/tune. Many music videos on Youtube are only watchable on youtube unfortunately.Another unique "progressive" rock sound from Genesis, "Firth of Fifth".

Thanks @Astronuc . That works.

Likes pinball1970
And, of course, probably the most iconic song ever made to a movie:

The new Gothic cathedrals spurred the creation of new music to fit the space

Can't stop listening to it!

StevieTNZ said:
Can't stop listening to it!
Really? Best music ever? Ever like over the entire history of humans on Earth?

BWV said:
Really? Best music ever? Ever like over the entire history of humans on Earth?
Indeed!

• Skeptical
Likes BWV
An hour of beautiful music:

Colin Hayes said:
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven
I grew up on Led Zep but cannot listen to it now. Very dated ( though if I was asked 30 years ago I would have stated " Led Zep forever!"
Tommy Emmanuel has had my attention these last 5 years or so.
Far as best music...these days anything by JS Bach is fine by me

Likes Klystron and BWV
Jodo said:
Now that is dated!

• Haha
Likes DennisN
Jodo said:
Young JS made a living as an itinerant 'keyboard' player, pipe organ virtuoso and occasional salesperson; while composing the most sublime music.

Maybe his music dating is of a more recent time as in the Moog music of Switched On Bach by Wendy Carlos circa 1968.

Likes Jodo

21st century bebop. The drummer is terrific.

Likes difalcojr and BWV

Best song EVER. So glad I rediscovered it last Saturday.

Likes jedishrfu and DennisN

If it is really good music I don't think it dates, it just is. Zep first 4 albums will endure I think. What is dated about it? @Jodo

pinball1970 said:
If it is really good music I don't think it dates, it just is. Zep first 4 albums will endure I think. What is dated about it? @Jodo
The kitschy blues tunes like 'I can't quit you babe' or 'Lemon Song' are very dated

If you want timeless, this is likely the oldest living music tradition on Earth, the Pygmy music I posted above being the second

Track from the new Haiduk album Diabolica [metal]

Likes BWV
BWV said:
The kitschy blues tunes like 'I can't quit you babe' or 'Lemon Song' are very dated

If you want timeless, this is likely the oldest living music tradition on Earth, the Pygmy music I posted above being the second

We would have to agree with what we both mean by timeless and dated I think.

Likes difalcojr
pinball1970 said:
I still enjoy Zep. I agree the first 4 are probably timeless ( as well as Physical Graffiti ). I just find after discovering Joe Satriani back in 1988 and then spending the following 2 years learning how to play it, my taste changed alot. If I had a dime for every time I played stairway to heaven I would retire now instead of 4 years from now ( I cringe when I hear that song now )
Going to California... Now that's a diff story 😀
Zep forever! Just sounds sooooo 70's now. Guess that what I mean by dated.

Likes pinball1970
Jodo said:
I still enjoy Zep. I agree the first 4 are probably timeless ( as well as Physical Graffiti ). I just find after discovering Joe Satriani back in 1988 and then spending the following 2 years learning how to play it, my taste changed alot. If I had a dime for every time I played stairway to heaven I would retire now instead of 4 years from now ( I cringe when I hear that song now )
Going to California... Now that's a diff story 😀
Zep forever! Just sounds sooooo 70's now. Guess that what I mean by dated.

I find the 80s dated! As soon as I hear that synth drum….

I suppose what I was getting at was, ”dated” has a negative connotation, in terms of music I would say not aged well, old hat.

The Beatles “Yesterday” was released in 1965, it has aged well for a few reasons.

It is a (very) beautiful track and has a fairly simple arrangement, voice, acoustic guitar and strings.

If I played you the track for the first time as there is not much that would pigeon hole it. I would call it timeless because it is good and because it does not shout out mid 60s.

If I played Hush by Deep Purple you would immediately notice the recording and the Hammond – very late sixties.

It is a matter of taste I suppose on what you regard as corny sound wise and if sounding like a 60s track immediately makes it old hat.

Hats off to Roy Harper (I never liked the track) sounds dated as Jimmy Page is using that slide guitar like an old blues player.

So in summary? Dated is fine if it also amazing!

Likes difalcojr
pinball1970 said:
So in summary? Dated is fine if it also amazing!
Yep

Likes pinball1970
I don't think I've posted this one.

Annie Lennox - A Whiter Shade of Pale

StevieTNZ said:
I don't think I've posted this one.

Annie Lennox - A Whiter Shade of Pale

It is down to taste I know but for me some songs should never be touched. I think this is one of them.
I think she has a fantastic voice (my sister dragged me to Eurythmics a gig in the 80s/90s)
I think there are far worst examples of songs that should have been left alone
"Only living Boy in New York"Everything but the girl

Strawberry fields – Candy Flip (truly truly awful)

Here comes the Sun – Steve Harley

Born to Wild - Link Ray? (rubbish)

I got you Babe - UB40

Cant help falling in Love – UB40 (both horrific)

Hush Kula Shaker – This was actually not so bad, probably because it sounded a lot like DP MK1. However it still should have been left in 1968

Rocket Man- Kate Bush. I love Kate Bush and I love Rocket man but two loves do not make a right (cover)

• Haha
Likes Astronuc and BillTre
Sometimes though songs we thought should never be touched are touched in such a way to create a new classic. To me the best example is:
- Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland vs Iz Kamakawiwo'ole

Judy

Iz

Likes pinball1970 and difalcojr
jedishrfu said:
Sometimes though songs we thought should never be touched are touched in such a way to create a new classic. To me the best example is:
- Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland vs Iz Kamakawiwo'ole

Judy

Iz

Ha ha ! I actually like this. I think they used it in a smolshy film with Drew Barrymore. 51st dates?
Judy Garland though? Wow. She was 17 when she did that? There is a brilliant analysis of her voice by a guy called 'Wings of Pegasus' on YouTube. A bit different to Rick Beato, I like both. Any I recommend it.
I forgot to mention the songs that are BETTER as covers.
The obvious one is All Along the Watchtower Hendrix, which is dated (it's got WAH WAH) BUT absolutely beautiful.
Other two stand outs ? I'll post, name the author without googling!

Likes jedishrfu
He deserves one on his own.

Lots (but not all) Dylan songs can go into this category.
Some Dylan songs have not been topped:

Which I think he should have gotten an Oscar for!

Likes pinball1970
Back