Best permanent magnet arrangement?

In summary: If you have a block of N52 and you want to make it's magnetic field as strong as possible, would a Halbach array give me this maximum or is there a different pole arrangement/array that would provide this?A Halbach array would provide the maximum field strength.
George-M
If I have a block of N52 and I want to make it's magnetic field as strong as possible, would a Halbach array give me this maximum or is there a different pole arrangement/array that would provide this? I'm thinking for the use in a motor, so the field doesn't have to be large. A close field (≤10mm) is all that is necessary.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by a "block" of N52? What shape?

In general, you want to have an almost-closed magnetic path to maximize the field strength in a small gap.

Likes hutchphd
berkeman said:
What do you mean by a "block" of N52? What shape?

In general, you want to have an almost-closed magnetic path to maximize the field strength in a small gap.

The shape really doesn't matter. Whatever shape is best.

Could you explain a closed magnetic circuit to me?

To my understanding, a closed magnetic circuit would be where the magnets are in direct contact. I can only assume that an almost-closed magnetic circuit would be where the magnets are as close as possible to one another.

If I've understood this correct, how would I increase the field strength even further to maximize it's capabilities?

What I originally meant by a block was that I can cut up the block to form smaller shapes with the magnetic poles in any orientation/ at any angle. My point was that I can make an array of magnets from the block but how could I utilise the physics to create the strongest possible magnet?

Before I forget, thank you ever so much for your fast response. Greatly appreciated.

He means something like this. The field in the small gap in the C will be high.

1573686806027.png

Likes berkeman
Perfect answer by @anorlunda

So if you only have a cubic "block" of the permanent magnet material, how would you add 3-4 pieces of a ferrous material (that is below its saturation flux density) to route and focus that strong magnetic flux into your working gap? Can you post a sketch? :smile:

1. What is the best permanent magnet arrangement for maximum magnetic strength?

The best permanent magnet arrangement for maximum magnetic strength is a Halbach array. This arrangement consists of multiple magnets arranged in a specific pattern to create a strong and uniform magnetic field on one side while canceling out the field on the other side.

2. How does the shape of the permanent magnets affect the arrangement?

The shape of the permanent magnets plays a crucial role in the arrangement. A rectangular or cylindrical shape is often used in a Halbach array as it allows for efficient alignment and maximum magnetic strength. Other shapes, such as horseshoe or ring magnets, can also be used in different arrangements for specific purposes.

3. Can the distance between the magnets affect the strength of the arrangement?

Yes, the distance between the magnets can affect the strength of the arrangement. The closer the magnets are to each other, the stronger the magnetic field will be. However, if the distance is too close, the magnets can repel each other and weaken the overall strength.

4. Are there any other factors to consider when designing a permanent magnet arrangement?

Yes, there are other factors to consider when designing a permanent magnet arrangement. These include the type of magnet material used, the orientation and alignment of the magnets, and the presence of any external magnetic fields that may interfere with the arrangement.

5. How can I determine the best permanent magnet arrangement for my specific application?

The best permanent magnet arrangement for a specific application will depend on various factors, such as the desired magnetic strength, size and shape constraints, and the purpose of the magnet. It is best to consult with a magnet expert or conduct thorough research to determine the most suitable arrangement for your needs.