Best Physics PhD Programs in Cosmology?

In summary: Johns Hopkins also has a great cosmology department.Other contenders for "best 2nd tier" cosmology PhD programs include: U Chicago, Cornell, UC Santa Cruz, U of Michigan, and U of Chicago.
Geremia
What are the best "2nd tier" physics PhD programs known for cosmology? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "second tier" and "best"? (most PhD's conferred, most reputable faculty members, proportion of PhD graduates with a postdoc/permanent position...) Are you looking at anywhere specifically in the world?

Last edited:
I have no idea what tier this is, but Johns Hopkins has some bleeding edge research going on in cosmology.

http://physics-astronomy.jhu.edu/groups/astro/

JHU's Dr. Adam Riess is the one who lead the team that discovered dark energy, for example. It's worth looking in to.

You then have the question of what areas of Cosmology? Are you interested in experimental (e.g. Planck), theoretical or data analysis (e.g. parameter estimation)? Are you interested in simulating large scale structure? General relativity? Braneworld cosmologies? CMB? Astroparticles?

It may be helpful to list a handful of some of the areas of interest as this can help narrow down the list of institutions pretty quick. For example a university may have a very good cosmology program but if they're purely experimental then it wouldn't be suitable for someone interested in something like string cosmology etc.

I don't know what counts as 2nd tier. So I guess answers like U Chicago isn't going to help?

And you're looking for physics programs? Does that mean you want to do pure theoretical work?

cristo said:
What do you mean by "second tier" and "best"?
Schools who would accept someone in the bottom 50% of physics GRE scores but have extensive undergrad research experience.
cristo said:
Are you looking at anywhere specifically in the world?
Preferably the U.S.

Thanks

LithiumHelios said:
You then have the question of what areas of Cosmology? Are you interested in experimental (e.g. Planck), theoretical or data analysis (e.g. parameter estimation)? Are you interested in simulating large scale structure? General relativity? Braneworld cosmologies? CMB? Astroparticles?

It may be helpful to list a handful of some of the areas of interest as this can help narrow down the list of institutions pretty quick. For example a university may have a very good cosmology program but if they're purely experimental then it wouldn't be suitable for someone interested in something like string cosmology etc.
I would like an even blend of theory and experiment/observation

Thanks

renz said:
And you're looking for physics programs? Does that mean you want to do pure theoretical work?
No, I want a balance between theory and observation/experiment.

Thanks

Jack21222 said:
JHU's Dr. Adam Riess is the one who lead the team that discovered dark energy, for example. It's worth looking in to.
Charles Bennett, the PI of WMAP, is at JHU. Riess was at Berkeley when he discovered dark energy: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1998AJ...116.1009R

Jack21222 said:
I have no idea what tier this is, but Johns Hopkins has some bleeding edge research going on in cosmology.
Indeed, thanks for the suggestion

Geremia said:
Charles Bennett, the PI of WMAP, is at JHU. Riess was at Berkeley when he discovered dark energy: http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/1998AJ...116.1009R

Ah, good point. The fact remains that Dr. Riess is currently doing research with JHU, so there's still that.

1. What are the top schools for a PhD in Cosmology?

The top schools for a PhD in Cosmology include Princeton University, California Institute of Technology, University of California-Berkeley, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, and Harvard University.

2. What factors should I consider when choosing a PhD program in Cosmology?

Some factors to consider when choosing a PhD program in Cosmology include the reputation and ranking of the program, research opportunities and funding, faculty expertise and mentorship, and location and cost of living.

3. Can I pursue a PhD in Cosmology without a background in Physics?

While having a background in Physics is typically preferred for a PhD in Cosmology, it is not always required. Some programs may offer prerequisite courses for students without a Physics background, but it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and other physical sciences.

4. How long does it take to complete a PhD in Cosmology?

The average time to complete a PhD in Cosmology is 5-6 years, but this can vary depending on the program and individual research progress. Some programs may also offer an option for an accelerated track.

5. What career opportunities are available with a PhD in Cosmology?

With a PhD in Cosmology, one can pursue a career in academia as a researcher or professor, or work in research and development in industries such as aerospace, technology, or government agencies. Other career options include science communication, consulting, and data analysis.