Best Reference Handbook in Math for Undergraduate Students

• Thread starter mndt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a reference handbook in math for students studying undergraduate or graduate physics. Various suggestions are made, including the CRC Standard Mathematical Tables and Formulae (31st edition), Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken and Weber, and Alan Jeffrey's handbook. The conversation also mentions the limitations on using physics-specific information in reference materials for exams.
mndt
What is the best reference handbook in math?

I am an undergraduate math student.
I need a handbook in case something skips my mind like a function or formulas ... In the huge field of math that happens a lot.

I need a handbook because I find it hard to carry my library around. and math courses are so connected to every where.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello all,

I am a graduate Physics student. I have strong math background. However, I started to forget some formulas, equations and so on because I am more focused on experimental physics.

I am looking for a book in math that I can you as a handbook. What do you think about Mathematical Methods for Physicists by Arfken and Weber. I heard that Bronstein's Handbook is good too.

Also, I don't what to pay a lot for a book that I will be using occasionally.

Thank you, Valentyn

I'd like to put in a plug for Alan Jeffrey's handbook: ISBN: 0123742889

In the past I've used both 1) the CRC (30th edition) and 2) Korn and Korn... neither of which are perfect. I found the CRC didn't have everything I needed, while Korn and Korn is somewhat dated and poorly organized, (though it contains everything). As a result, I have been using the CRC primarily for tests, preparation, etc. However...

My physics department recently adopted new rules concerning our qualifying exams that do not allow us to annotate opur math reference in any way (this eliminated my CRC). Also, the new rules state that the reference we are allowed on the exam can not contain any physics specific info, no matter how trivial (this eliminates Korn and Korn). As a result I've had to find a new math table.

Luckily, Jeffrey's book is pretty much the best of both worlds. It's a better math reference than either of the other two, the organization is excellent, and it only contains math. I'm very glad I found this book. Pretty much all the stuff I had added to the CRC is already included.

1. What topics are covered in the best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students?

The best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students typically covers a wide range of topics, including calculus, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, statistics, and linear algebra. It may also include sections on mathematical proofs, logic, and discrete mathematics.

2. Is the best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students suitable for all levels of math students?

Yes, the best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students is designed to be accessible and useful for students at all levels, from beginners to advanced students. It may include basic concepts as well as more advanced topics to cater to a wide range of learners.

3. Can the best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students be used as a standalone resource for learning math?

While the best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students can be a valuable resource for learning and understanding mathematical concepts, it is not meant to replace traditional textbooks or classroom instruction. It is best used as a supplement to other learning materials and for quick reference.

4. Are there any interactive or digital features in the best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students?

Some reference handbooks may include interactive features, such as online practice problems or video tutorials, but this may not be the case for all handbooks. It is important to carefully research and compare different handbooks to find one with the features that best suit your learning needs.

5. How can I determine which is the best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students?

The best reference handbook in math for undergraduate students will vary depending on individual preferences and learning styles. It is important to read reviews, compare features and content, and consider your own needs and goals when choosing a handbook. It may also be helpful to ask for recommendations from teachers or peers.