1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Classical Best Statistical Mechanics books for studying for qualifier?

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1
    Does any one have any good books, or other references, that they would recommend for studying for the thermodynamics & statistical mechanics portion of graduate qualifying exams? I didn't have any undergrad Stat Mech and my grad prof/class was really not good, to the point that I didn't really learn anything. So I've got some catching up to do before the qual. I was planning on using "A Guide to Physics problems" parts 1&2 by Sidney Cahn and Boris Nadgorny for general study but I need some more prep on stat therm first. I used Huang in class, but wasn't super fond of it.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2017 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

If you are referring to Statistical and Thermal Physics, I would recommend the book by F.Reif.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted