Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Best statistical mechanics book?

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1

Physics_UG

Gold Member

I took stat mech as an undergrad but the textbook we used (statistical and thermal physics by sturge) was over my head. Can someone provide a good and readable (as readable as stat mech can get) textbook for stat mech? I am switching to a different research group in grad school that deals with device physic and device modeling and I feel I am lacking in the basics.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2010 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest you look at Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, one of the most used texts over the years. I find his style to be clear, his explanations physical and intuitive. Some students, particularly those who learn through mathematical derivations, object to his wordiness. I think that's a strength that might be just what you are looking for.

4. Mar 9, 2010 #3

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I also like Reif's book for the same reasons. It is the book I learned from an I felt that overall he was quite clear and reasonably complete. One book that I like even better is Thermal Physics by Schroder. He has a very engaging style, goes out of his way to give interpretations of equations, and is great about examining interesting examples.

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4

Physics_UG

Gold Member

Thanks for your help. I will check out these books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?