Best statistical mechanics book?

1. Physics_UG

Physics_UG 289
    Gold Member

I took stat mech as an undergrad but the textbook we used (statistical and thermal physics by sturge) was over my head. Can someone provide a good and readable (as readable as stat mech can get) textbook for stat mech? I am switching to a different research group in grad school that deals with device physic and device modeling and I feel I am lacking in the basics.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. marcusl

marcusl 2,100
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I suggest you look at Reif's Fundamentals of Statistical and Thermal Physics, one of the most used texts over the years. I find his style to be clear, his explanations physical and intuitive. Some students, particularly those who learn through mathematical derivations, object to his wordiness. I think that's a strength that might be just what you are looking for.

4. I also like Reif's book for the same reasons. It is the book I learned from an I felt that overall he was quite clear and reasonably complete. One book that I like even better is Thermal Physics by Schroder. He has a very engaging style, goes out of his way to give interpretations of equations, and is great about examining interesting examples.

5. Physics_UG

Physics_UG 289
    Gold Member

Thanks for your help. I will check out these books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?